Chapter 25: Tenaya (1/2)

Entering the house, I took note of those gathered in the main room

Entering the house, I took note of those gathered in the main room. All familiar faces to me now: Nyraz, Stolvir, and Tenaya. Something in my posture must have given me away, or they sensed the emotional tremors in my athka. Stolvir looked slightly concerned on my behalf, while Nyraz and Tenaya exchanged small smiles.

The turquoise dragon spoke as Rofar slipped in behind me. "Did you try to scare him, dear? He looks as nervous as a hatchling going for his first flight!" Everyone giggled. I winced.

I wasn't sure that was really fair. Although, I was a little apprehensive at the thought of learning to fight. Memories of my first dream with Ares sprang into my mind. The fire and smoke in the darkness, claws slashing at me. The first time I felt truly feral and fearsome, the fight bringing up more than just adrenaline. I wasn't eager for another experience like that. Fighting just seemed like a bad idea, and I didn't want to imagine what could happen if I were to lose control.

"You'll be just fine, Ayreth," Rofar assured me. "These are things every young dragon learns. We'll start with a few basics so you can defend yourself."

I cracked a halfhearted smile, trying to make myself more at ease. "Yeah, I'm alright. I'm ready to learn; that's why I'm here."

"Great," my master said, crossing the room and heading for the back door. "We'll go outside where there's more room."

I followed along with the others. Tenaya seemed very interested in being present for this lesson; there was a look of intense focus in her eyes. She appeared to be sizing me up as we walked out into the clearing. When she continued out into the grass and stopped next to Rofar, it clicked. "So, I will be getting my lessons while fighting Tenaya," I thought. "The dragon who hasn't been beaten in sparring. Perfect." I swallowed again as I remembered her bragging about beating up dragons twice my size.

"Come on out here, Ayreth," Rofar said, settling his rear legs down in the grass next to a small pile of brown objects.

"Yes, master." I padded over to the blue dragon, trying not to notice the look Tenaya was giving me. Almost a glare, but with a little smirk mixed in there too. She seemed ready to have a little fun with me.

"We'll get these on you." Rofar picked up one of the brown items, which I could see was a leathery thing with straps. Noticing my quizzical look, he explained, "These are for your paws. We don't want you to claw each other up during a fake fight."

It took a few minutes to get both me and Tenaya fitted with the glove-like claw guards. It felt a little weird. They were basically leather shoes with individual pockets to surround each finger and toe and turn the claws into blunt instruments.

After the guards were in place, Rofar spoke to me again. "Tenaya will be your sparring partner until your lessons in combat are complete." He started pacing slowly. "You will practice avoiding and blocking incoming attacks, but counterattacks are not always something that can easily be taught. You must learn to see the opening as the attack happens and, with enough practice, act on instinct."