Chapter 17: Something to Remember (2/3)

I was floored. There was something so simple and even obvious about what she had said. I was doing the same things Ares was. Seeing in black and white, seeking out dichotomies when the reality was much more nuanced. "I'm...relieved that you would say that. I can get so caught up in these worries. It's...yeah, it's a huge relief to hear that. More than you probably know."

"You can be sure that I meant every word." She brushed a strand of hair back behind her ear, looking around serenely at her creations surrounding her in the studio. "Maybe I should check on Wes." I followed her as she stepped back out into the hall. Opening the door to his room, she gently convinced him to join us out in the kitchen.

The three of us passed the time until dinner by cleaning up the house a bit more from last night. Working together, we swept up all the broken glass and dishes that lay around. Jackie hung up the pictures, some of them still in broken frames, and we cleaned up a couple spots of blood that remained on the floor.

I told Jackie that I didn't need any dinner, and the previous large meals would satisfy me for a while. Still, I sat with Wes while she made some macaroni. She asked Wes some questions about school. I was perfectly happy to sit and mostly listen while the conversation stayed away from more serious topics. When they were done, I excused myself to go back to the shed. I said I would see them again in the morning for breakfast.

Insects hummed loudly in the dying light as I walked back to my little house. I looked back inside one more time. Through the kitchen window, I saw mother and son in a tight embrace. Jackie's dark hair fanned out across her back, and she was shaking slightly. I couldn't tell if she was crying, or if it was Wes, or both. I looked away and went to go lie down between the woodpiles.

After a brief bit of reading, it got too dark even for my draconic eyes to see through the darkness in the barn. So I packed my things and curled up in my usual sleeping posture. The weather was getting a little colder at night, but I wasn't bothered by it at all. I just noticed the change. After all, it was well into October, and the temperature would soon go from cool to cold as autumn wore on. I wondered what it would be like to fly around in the snow; I resolved to try it when I got the chance.

A soft sound reached me just as I was getting close to sleep. I jolted back into wakefulness, suddenly hyper-alert. Ares' surprise visit had set me on edge, though I didn't think he would be back so soon. I lay there, my head raised and scanning for sounds, until I heard more and could tell that the noises came from the house. The back door groaned as somebody eased it open and stepped out into the grass. Small, quick steps reached my ears as the visitor hurried in my direction.

"Josh, I can't sleep." It was Wes. He was whispering through the crack in the door. "I don't want you to leave."

"Hey," I whispered back. "Come on in." He slid the door open and stepped into the barn. A brief sliver of starry sky was visible behind his shadowy form. "Can't sleep, huh?"

"I don't know. If you go away, there's too much bad stuff that I keep thinking about. It's not just that you kept us safe. Mommy hasn't been acting normal for a while, but now, after you showed up, she's gotten better. Like you got her to be happy about life again. I don't want that to go away."

"I'm sorry, Wes," I said. "But I do have to leave for a little bit. I made a promise. I told the other dragon I would go with him. But I'll come back here. I am making that promise to you. I'll come back, okay?"

"Okay."

A bare foot brushed listlessly at the dirt floor. He seemed to grudgingly accept my response. But he still didn't look ready to leave as he leaned against a tall pile of split logs. Even in the darkness, I could see his eyes moving, searching the barn for something. I doubted he could even see my outline clearly; I was just a voice to him. Something tugged at my mind. It was an idea, sort of a crazy idea. But I felt like I owed the boy one last gift before he had to say goodbye.

"Do you want to go flying?" I asked. I got the question out quickly before I could convince myself to hold my tongue.

"Oh...I..." The kid was at a loss for words. He swallowed and found the breath to say, "Fly? Like, with you?"

"Yeah. Don't you want to? It's dark, and nobody will see us. It'll be fun!"

"Wow. Yes! Oh man, I can't believe you're actually letting me come!"

"Well, we've been through some stuff together. You're a brave kid, so I think you're ready for this. I will say, though, it's going to be colder up there, so you should wear a jacket or something."

"Okay, uh, I'll run inside real quick. Be right back."

As he quickly stole back to the house, I followed him outside and stood in the grass. It was a clear night, and the stars were out in all their glory. I flapped my wings a few times—it was the first use they'd gotten in a while—and sent strong air currents radiating through the grass around me.

Wes reemerged from the house with shoes on in addition to a hoodie. He ran back over to my side and stared with excitement at my outstretched wings. "I'm so ready for this! Mom's still asleep, and I was thinking maybe it's better if you don't tell her what we did."

"You think she would feel like it's unsafe or something? I get it. It'll be our secret."

"Thanks," he said. He was shivering slightly, grasping the sleeves of his hoodie in tight fists. It was a little cold, but I could see the kid was shaking partly with giddy anticipation of the flight. "Oh my god," he breathed, "I've got goosebumps already! I'm gonna fly on a dragon!"

"Just so you know," I cautioned, "I probably won't be able to talk to you while we're up there because of the wind. So, if you need my attention, just kick me or something. And, obviously, make sure you hold on. Arms and legs around my neck won't bother me at all. I won't go too fast or go upside-down or anything, though. You'll be fine. Now go ahead and step on up."

I lowered myself onto the ground, grass tickling my plated underbelly. Wes stood on tiptoes before throwing a leg over my upper back. He settled down in his usual spot between my neck and wings. I returned to a standing position, feeling the added weight. He barely weighed anything, though, and I figured I could fly for at least ten or fifteen minutes with him, no problem.

It was the moment of truth. I stood by the barn at the edge of the trees, staring at the full length of the backyard in front of me. It was big, about fifty yards of room before the clearing ended and forest sprung up like a wall. I figured it would be enough room to run and climb above the treetops, and I was about to find out for sure. "Please hold on tight, kid," I silently pleaded. "I'm sorry I have to leave, but at least I can give you something you'll probably never forget."

If you are enjoying this story, please consider leaving a vote or comment to tell me your thoughts! I really appreciate any and all feedback. Thank you for reading!