Chapter 35: Outmatched (1/2)

Rofar was the only one who made a sound while I told my story: a few growls whenever I said Ares' name

Rofar was the only one who made a sound while I told my story: a few growls whenever I said Ares' name. I started with a brief account of how I came to join the Vrost, then described my magic lessons and conversations with the black dragon. Uldor blinked slowly at my narration of the flight to the volcano and the use of collective magic to move the earth.

For the moment, I left Ferenor out of the story. That could be explained in time. I stuck to the details of the Vrost's plan. "That's why we don't have much time," I finished. "We only have two more full days before all this happens."

"Very well," Uldor rumbled pensively. "I will assemble the clan council at first light tomorrow to discuss this information." The tip of his tail flicked slightly in agitation. "You should rest, Ayreth," he continued. "And do not concern yourself with any notion of punishment for your actions. I will not pretend that this matter has not been taken heavily by many in the clan, but that is punishment enough. You have acknowledged your mistakes; I see no need for further action."

I bowed my head, feeling as if a weight were lifted. "Thank you, great leader." I practically exhaled the words. His athka, vast and inscrutable, remained devoid of emotion. Yet I found hope in his words. The council would know how to react to this threat. They wouldn't let Ares' plan succeed.

The white dragon looked back and forth at Eysri and Rofar. "The council meets at first light," he repeated. They nodded, and he gave us our dismissal.

Rofar's blue eyes met mine, and he dipped his head, inviting me to follow as he walked from the clearing in silence.

"Come with me," I whispered to Ferenor as I rose up off my haunches. "You should rest," I said, my athka brushing Tenaya's. "Thank you for everything. I'll see you tomorrow."

I wondered if she could sense my consuming desire to hold her close and breathe her in, to feel the softness of her muzzle against mine. How much I wanted to forget about all of this and race her to the top of a tree once more, where we could sit together and talk about anything.

The lilac dragon's spirit was tired, but she still found some warmth to send my way. "You're maddening, you know that? But now you're back, and that's what matters. Let's hope tomorrow brings some good news. See you then."

I jogged ahead a little to catch up with Rofar. He remained silent, walking the path to his home at an accelerated clip. His spirit was distant, chilly; I feared the worst. A few more galloping steps brought me almost on his tail.

"Master," I began, "I—"

With a growl, he stopped and spun on me. I nearly collided with his muzzle. "You what?" he spat. "You're sorry?"

"I—"

"I taught you better than this!" the blue dragon roared. I shrunk back and heard Ferenor's little squeak of fear behind me. Rofar took a step back, surprised at his own outburst. The fire was gone from his eyes, but his athka was stormy still.