Chapter 11

Chapter 11

(Orion's POV)

My eyes widened and I almost lost my balance so I took a step back. Riley murdered his baby sister? I literally can not believe it. I know he's a bit of a bad boy sometimes and sometimes he can get a little weird but I didn't know he was ever capable of killing someone.

"Now, wait! Let me explain, okay? It was an accident," he paused and swallowed, "I want to tell you everything that happened. Sit down."

He sat and pulled me down with him. We were cross legged, across from each other. I kept looking at him, he wouldn't make eye contact with me.

"Okay, well, my parents were going out that night and left Julia and me with a babysitter. The babysitter sucked and went upstairs and fell asleep as soon as my parents left. So I was playing with Julia and everything was going well. I turned my back for a second and suddenly I heard crying and loud thumps. She had rolled down the fucking stairs.

"At first, I laughed, because I didn't realize a fall like that could kill a baby and it was kinda funny. I went downstairs and picked her off of the basement floor. Her body was limp and I got really scared. Earlier at school that day we had learned about wildfires and then we had moved onto the topic of fire in general and I guess I was still hyped up on that because I dragged her body up and lit her onesie up. Then I realized how obvious this was going to be so I went to the oven, it had been turned on so the babysitter could make dinner. I took a blanket and put it in there and it lit. I tried my hardest to spread the flame all over the kitchen before going to get the babysitter. When it was done I ran up and got her. She called 911 and we ran outside. She remembered Julia but I told her it was too late, she was dead. That kinda creeped her out. But by the time the fire department got there the house was basically gone. No one even suggested arson." He looked up at me. He didn't even look sorry I, myself, was shaking.

"Wh-what happened to the babysitter?"

"She died on the way home. She got in a car crash. I like to believe that her nerves got the best of her."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah." I can't believe it. Riley is a murderer. Little Riley is a murderer. I made out with a murderer. I...I don't even know. I don't know what to feel right now.

"Please don't be mad at me or treat me different. We've been friends for such a long time with no problems. That shouldn't change." His words were oddly comforting. He was right, too. That was the past, he's better now. Right?

"Okay. I trust you. But can we head back home now? I feel sick." I said. Riley nodded and looked down.

"Okay, let's go." He got up and I followed him. We walked back to my house. I felt him snake his hand in mine.

He didn't feel any different. He was still the same old Riley. I just knew him better now.

We walked back into my house and went upstairs to my room. I lay down on the bed and Riley closed my door. He turned to look at me.

"You look weird. Are you okay?" Riley asked. Well, let's see, my best friend just admitted that he murdered a baby. I obviously am overreacting.

But I didn't say anything like that. I just shook my head and patted the spot next to me. He came over and I wrapped my arm around his shoulder.

"I still like you, it's just that, this is a lot to deal with. I mean you murdered-"

"It was more like manslaughter, really."

"No, you murdered her, Riley."

"Don't say that. It sounds harsh." I sighed at his words and kissed the top of his head. He shook and I looked down at him. There were tears falling down his cheeks.

"It was an accident! I didn't even kill her, I just set her on fire." His voice was steady but tears were coming down.

"Please stop crying." I said. I pulled him close to me.

"You're mad at me, aren't you? This is why I was so scared to tell you. I knew you'd get mad." I wasn't mad at him, though. Just really surprised.

"Riley, I'm not mad at you. I could never be mad at you. Even when you ran away, I wasn't mad at you. Even when I found out you did it with Blake, I wasn't mad," That wasn't entirely true but right now I would say anything to make him feel better. He looked up at me and I wiped away his tears. It honestly broke my heart to see him like this. He looked like a hurt puppy.

"Please don't cry, baby."