Chapter 11 : Down The Trench

The noise was unbearable.  He was on the sidewalk.  He couldn't move.  He saw the medics surrounding someone but not him. 

"Time of death.  11:13."

Fetcher woke up, went to do his morning routines like a robot.  It had been six months since the accident.

*****

"It's kinda weird, to be honest." Blair said, "It's been six months and her heart can still beat on its own without a life-supporter.  But we really don't know when she'll wake up." 

Fetcher and Blair were sitting on the couch while Reign and Cameron talked to Chase. 

"So you go back to work in ER." Fetcher crossed one leg over another. 

"Yeah.  Start at eight o'clock.  I still feel guilty though." 

Suddenly Fetcher's cellphone rang, "Excuse me." he stood up, walking out of the ward, "This is Valentine Fetcher." 

On the other side of the phone came some laughter, "Do you always do this when you answer the phone?" Buchanan asked with mocking tone. 

"It's my habit." Fetcher sighed, "I've told myself not to answer with 'Detective Fetcher, may I help you?'" he chuckled to himself, "What's up?" 

"Got something in the drain.  You're at the hospital, right?  I'll be there in two." 

Fetcher hung up the phone, turned around and almost bumped into Reign. 

"So can I drive your car to school?  Please.  Please.  Please.  Please." 

Fetcher sighed, "Fine.  Be careful." he threw his key to Reign. 

"Yes!" 

Reign and Cameron rushed to the elevator and pushed the button like crazy. 

"Drive slow and be safe!" Fetcher yelled at them.

*****

"Behold!  The creepiest crime scene ever!" Buchanan pulled the car over at the curb. 

Fetcher got out of the vehicle and headed toward Dr. Cedric.  He didn't understand why this was the creepiest crime scene.  He couldn't even see red.  

"Tell me the creepiest part." he demanded. 

Cedric looked up at him, "Well, good day to you too, Detective Fetcher." 

"I'm sorry, Doc.  Morning to you.  I'm just wondering why Detective Buchanan said it was the creepiest crime scene." 

Doctor moved aside to let Fetcher see what he had been doing.  Bones on the blue plastic bag. 

"You're assembling the bones?" 

"Not just any bones!" Cedric scolded, "Judging from the bones, the victim is the kid between five to eight.  CSIs found the skull.  They're still trying to find out more bones.  We can't be sure whether the kid's head has already left the body or not before he was down there.  I'll let you know later." 

"So the victim is a kid." Jane said, eating her breakfast -- hamburger, at the same time. 

"You and Roger are trying to have a baby?" Donnter commented as Jane grimaced, "No thanks." 

Fetcher couldn't help but laugh, "No thanks for what?  It's not like you and Donnter are trying to have a baby!" 

Buchanan laughed as well. 

"Exactly!" Donnter fist-bumped with Fetcher. 

Jane gave all of them death glare, soon recovered, "But it sure is creepy.  A kid!"