Chapter 16 : Acid Rain

"No.  This is not cool." Chase was making herself a nice cup of tea in the break room.  "Yeah, right...about twenty-five minutes away.  You'd better find a way to get back here soon!"  She ended the call once she heard someone coming. 

"Where's Fetch?" Jane asked. 

Chase let out a sigh of relief, "Oh, uh...he just said that he transferred to Atwater prescint" 

"What?" 

"Yeah, he figured it was a mistake after he sent the report." 

Donnter cocked his head into the break room, "Ladies, Captain's office now." 

Chase and Jane looked at each other and then went ahead.

*****

Captain Haynes was in his seat facing the door.  Across from the desk sat a man with blonde hair, suit wearing.  The three detectives went inside after knocking. 

Haynes stood up, "Detectives, I want you to meet your new supervisor," he nodded at Chase, "And your new partner, Detective Clarence." 

The man stood up and turned around. 

Chase shivered.  Jane gasped.  Donnter balled up his fist and then relaxed. 

That man looked nothing like anyone Chase had ever seen.  He was good-looking enough to be called handsome.  He had short blonde hair and a pair of soft emerald green eyes.  He got that charming smile and dimples on his face. 

"Hi!" he greeted, voice sounded like the summer ocean. 

"Shit!" Chase dag-nabbed. 

Haynes gave her a warning look, "Problem?" 

"No, Sir." Chase replied right away, avoiding looking into the new detective's mesmerizing eyes. 

"This is Detective Elizabeth Chase.  This is Detective Seabury Donnter.  And this is Detective Genevieve Eastoft." Haynes introduced his detectives to Clarence one by one. 

"Nice too meet you all." his sight lingered on Chase for a while.

*****

"Can I drive?" Chase asked once Clarence beeped on his SUV.  She needed to feel like she was in control of the situation. 

Clarence shrugged, smiling, "Yeah, sure." he tossed her the car key and got into the passenger's seat. 

She was satisfied.

*****

"So...where were you?" Chase asked while they were waiting the red light. 

"I was in North Carolina." 

"O...kay." Chase then asked, "How old are you?" 

"I'm thirty-three." 

Chase tapped her fingers on the steering wheel, "Are you married?  Uh...sorry." she stopped herself, "I didn't mean to...uh, like checking your background or something." 

"I don't mind," he said with smile in his tone, "As long as you tell me yours.  That's called being fair." 

"Fine." Chase said, making a right turn, "I like people just call me Chase.  I loathe the name Elizabeth.  I'm twenty-eight.  I was in a coma for about a year, just the past few months, because I took a bullet for my ex-partner, Detective Valentine Fetcher, who has transferred to another precinct.  I love adventures, books, and TV series."  She added, "And I'm single, just saying." 

Clarence laughed, "Alright.  My turn." he cleared his throat, "I'm Clarence.   Just call me Clarence.   My family calls me Clare, but please don't call me that.   It seems to them that I'm still a kid."  Clarence continued, "As always.  I'm not a relationship type. I'm more of a free spirit.  I love adventures too so long as they won't cost my life.  I sometime watch some TV series, not a lot tho.  Well...maybe more than normal people." he admitted.