Chapter 26 : Misty Morning

It was seven o'clock in the morning.  In front of The Mayan nightclub, Hill Street was misty with a smell of sulfur, meat, and shock.  The crime scene were full of ambulances, fire trucks, paramedics, injured, and cops. 

"What is this?" Chase hopped off from Clarence' SUV and yelled to nobody in particular. 

FBI Special Agent Lisa Kendar turned her blonde head to Chase' direction.  She inspected her for a few seconds and finally goggled her eyes as if she figured out the truth, "You're Chase!" 

Chase waved her hand a little, "Hi, Lisa.  Yes, I changed my hair.  It's longer now, but I kept dying it black." she looked around, "Bombing?" 

Lisa nodded, "Seems that way.  We have too many bodies.  The bomber must have targeted on the nightclub.  He chose the time when people were leaving.   He put the bomb at the front door.   And all he needed to do was get the timing right."

Another fire truck came.  Another bunch of firefighters rushed into the burning, smoking building. 

Chase saw the balcony cracking and about to fall. 

There was a firefighter digging something out from the debris on the ground. 

She couldn't be there in a second. 

"Watch out!" she did all she could, called out loud, dreading to see what was coming. 

She didn't need to be. 

A superhero flashed over to push the firefighter out of the danger. 

BANG! 

The balcony fell and crashed into pieces. 

The superhero protected the firefighter with his body.  His suit was torn. 

"Raziel?" Chase wondered to herself and hen walked quickly toward them. 

As she approached, she knew it wasn't Raziel.  The savior's hair was black, not from dirt, but originally that way. 

"Man, you alright?" the firefighter moved out from the savior's body.  The firefighter's face was dirty, reflecting the bright blue eyes.  He pushed the hero. 

The hero wasn't moving. 

Chase rolled that guy on the ground so that she could see his face.  It was even more shocking than this bombing thing. 

It was Lightson. 

Chase' hand went to his neck to check his pulse.  Thanked god there was a pulse. 

"I think he just fainted." Chase told the firefighter.  "MEDICS!" she yelled, "We got an agent down!"  She then realized that the firefighter's forehead was bleeding when she looked at him the second time.  She fished out a ball of tissue paper from her blazer pocket, "You're bleeding."  She straightened the tissue paper and folded it into a square, "It's clean.  I swear." 

She beckoned him to sit down on the sidewalk, letting paramedics deal with Lightson.  Now she could see clear of his wound.  It was a scratch, a long scratch. 

"A lil bit nasty." she took a small bottled water out from the other blazer pocket. 

The firefighter seemed impressed. 

She opened this new bottle of water and dipped the tissue into the water.  She started to clean his wound, "I'm not used to doing this, but medics are busy enough." 

"I'm Octavien Moreau." he said. 

"I'm not interested in guys with French names." Chase finished cleaning and pulled him up to his feet, "Now get up!"