Chapter 24 : The Mad Man

"There were many cases got reported this morning, all different places." Clarence walked out of LAPD headquarters and spun Chase around.  He saw Fetcher was still in his car by the sidewalk. 

As he approached the car, Fetcher got out of his car, "What's up?"  

"You wanna join us today?  Since you only do paperwork at Atwater Village."  

"That can wait." 

Clarence waved a stack of files in his hand, "We got five cases." 

"Sure." Fetcher shrugged, "I actually don't have anything to do today." 

Chase chimed in, "Okay, how do we do this?" 

"I was thinking each detective paired up with a CSI and four officers." Clarence told them the plan, "I've already told Jane and Donnter to pick up a CSI." 

"Nooooo!" Chase started to jump like a six-year-old kid, "Hope Ethan is still available." 

"I think he is.  Jane asked for Vera, I picked Lionel, and everybody knows that Bill is Donnter's friend." 

Then something struck Chase.  "I'll have Art then." she turned to Fetcher, "You an Ethan are frenemies.  You two can plot some conspiracy to murder my friends." 

Fetcher faked a smile at her, "Sure, we'll see who we're gonna murder next from your contact list." 

"Hopefully not me." Clarence rolled his eyes, "Okay, Detectives.  Get to work!"

*****

In the swimming pool of Milton Motel floated a child's body face-up.  The color of the pool was dark pink. 

Jane was talking to the motel manager.  Vera was looking around to find evidence. 

Cedric approached the pool, and called out, "Officers, could you help me get the body out of the pool?" 

The two officers lay the kid down on the plastic.  

Cedric put on his gloves and started to do a brief examination.   "Throat cut, not deep enough.  C.O.D. is probably blood loss." he looked around. 

There were splashes of water beside the pool. 

"Blood loss.  He was struggling but he couldn't swim.  He was too panic to swim, but he wasn't drowned." 

The boy's body was pale, not blue.  He was probably seven or eight. 

"So young." Cedric sighed, "I have other crime scenes to attend."

*****

Jane followed the motel manager to check the surveillance camera.  

They found that at 4:18 earlier today, a male figure pulled over his convertible and dragged the boy out of the car.  He pulled out a knife from his pocket and then slashed the boy's throat, pushing him into the pool. 

Jane gasped, "My God.  He didn't even think.  Can we get the plate number?" 

The manager magnified the screenshot, "No license plate.  He must have took it off." 

"Could you replay it please?" 

The manager rewound the the video and hit play.  

Jane paid all her attention on the screen, "Wait, wait!  Go back a little...okay, stop right there!"  She pointed at the monitor, "Is that a kid lying in the backseat?" 

The manager took a closer look, "Aye, yes.  That is!" 

"Alright." Jane nodded at him, "Thanks." and then she went to find Vera.