Chapter 1

Verona, Italy, AD 301

Letta giggled as she ran through the Roman home. Her very pregnant mother Anna was trying to keep up with her, "Letta.. slow..Oh!"

Letta's little smile disappeared as she heard her mother cry out. She ran to her side and watched as her mother held her belly and rocked, "It's time Letta, go fetch Merick."

Six hours later, Anna held Mericks hand as she cried. The mid wife looked to them as all she could do was hang her head and shake it. Merick turned his tear filled eyes back to Anna, "I'm sorry dearest. What can I do?"

Anna reached up and caressed his face, "Take care of Letta as your own. Please, let no harm come to her."

Merick kissed her knuckles and spoke his promise. Anna's eyes eased close for the last time. Letta was fast asleep in her room, unaware of her mother and her babies passing.

*******Eleven Years Later ********

Demetrio slowly rode his exhausted horse to his fathers villa. The clothes he wore weighed him down as they soaked up the summer rain. He barely knew his father. Merick and his mother had separate as a result of his mother marring for political reasons. He had been on maneuvers for the past five years due to Maximas's empire slowly crumbling to Constantine. Demetrio smiled at the thought of a new homecoming, and a growing political career of his own. He would remain loyal to Maximus, his army was double the size of Constantine's, there was no way he would be overpowered. The villa seemed deserted since there were no servants to greet him due to the rain. He sat on his horse in the court yard, "Hello?"

He paused as he heard a giggle in the garden that was around the corner. Demetrio groaned as he eased off of his horse. He smirked as he peeked around the corner; in the middle of the garden was a young woman. She had her arms stretched out with her face up and eyes closed as she twirled around. Demetrio smiled in confusion as he watched the innocent young beauty as she enjoyed the rain. He quietly pondered who she might be. Her features were young but her body showed she was a young woman. Demetrio cleared his throat as he entered the court yard.

Letta gasped at the unknown audience, "Who are you and how long have you been standing there?"

"Long enough." Demetrio eased closer as he lead his horse into her view.

"Forgive me Demetrio. Your father was not expecting you for another three days. Here, allow me to tend to your horse."

Letta reached for the reins, but Demetrio stopped her, "I wouldn't do that. She's very temperamental."

Letta smiled as she eased her hand up and stroked between her eyes. The horse nudged and grunted with tired affection. Demetrio smiled as he watched the unknown enchantress; her angelic facial expressions made her seem almost child like. " What is her name?"

Demetrio snapped out of his daze as she spoke, "Nerva."

Letta chuckled at his response, "I would say that's perfect for her."

Demetrio smiled as he handed her the reins, "Please, show us the way."

Letta lead the pair to the stables where she quickly attended to his horse. She obtained even more affection from Nerva, after giving her an apple.

Again Demetrio was sunk into another daze from her figure, "What is your name?"

"Letta." She answered without turning her gaze.

"So, your my fathers ward he wrote to me about." Demetrio crossed his arms and cocked an eyebrow.

Letta's gaze snapped to his as she smiled, "Why would he write to you about me?"

"He intended us to wed dear lady."

Letta's smile eased away. This was all too new to her. Why would Merick not tell her of this? There must be a misunderstanding. She tried to swallow her anxiety away, but nothing worked.