Chapter 6

Demetrio's  heart was heavy as he walked back to his fathers villa. "What am I going to tell Letta? How can I? It will break her heart." He took a deep breath as he pushed open the gate. His eyes scanned the court yard and stopped on an exhausted Letta. She looked pale and frail as she sat in a daze as he approached her. Demetrio leaned down in front of her to met her low gaze, "Letta? What is wrong? Why do you look so distraught?"

Letta's eyes blinked with a long slow blink as her speech slurred, "Where were you? I.. I.. I waited so long.."

Demetrio swallowed a lump in his throat, "I'm sorry dearest,  I was detained."

Letta's eyes slowly rolled up as she swayed, "By what?"

Demetrio shook his head as he studied her behavior, "Letta? How long have you been sitting here?"

Letta pressed her eyes closed as she tried to keep her balance, "I.. all..nigh.."

Demetrio caught her as she fell over from fatigue. "Father!"

Merick had been watching the entire conversation in secret. He met Demetrio at the top of the stairs as he carried an unconscious Letta . "Put her in bed, I'll send for the physician."

Demetrio place her gently down and looked down on her sweet face as she slept. "I'm sorry Letta. I promise I will never hurt you again."

Merick eased from around the doorway, "Where were you Demetrio?"

Demetrio turned to his father on the verge of tears, "I... I shall not fail her again.."

"Demetrio, you have yet to become her husband and you are already taking her for granted, just as I had predicted.."

Demetrio spoke through gritted teeth, "I know..! I know I've already failed her.. Please.. I truly love her. I didn't mean for it to happen."

Merick took a step closer, "She will find out your true nature, but not by my hand; just your own."

"I will make this right. I can't lose her." Demetrio turned to Letta and kissed her hand.

"Is it her heart your afraid of losing or what she could do for your ambition?"

Demetrio turned his scowl to his farther. "I do love her."

Merick sighed as he shook his head and left.

After the doctor examined Letta, he met both men in the main hall of the house, "She needs lots of rest. Keep a close eye on her; with her being out all night in the cool air, she may fall ill."

Demetrio looked down as he turned to his father, "You allowed her to stay out all night!?"

The doctor turned an uneasy eye away from the two, "I must take my leave. Do  as I say. Rest, if she shows any sickness, come fetch me."

"Merick cocked an eyebrow to Demetrio, "Thank you, we shall."

As soon as the doctor left, Merick let his anger go, "How could I let her stay out all night!? Where were you? Answer me? Where were you as she waited and waited and waited.."

Demetrio kept his eyes to the ground, "Silence  your tongue!"

"And waited.. And..!"

"Enough!"

Both men turned to the shaking woman's voice. Demetrio eyes widened as he rushed to her frail body, "Letta! What are you doing out of bed?"

"I couldn't remember if I had dreamt that you came home or if it was real? I was worried." She started to sway as she leaned against a stone column.

Demetrio scooped her up and carried her back to bed, "You needn't worry about me dearest. You must get your rest."

Letta leaned her head against his chest as he cradled her. Her eyes drifted close again by the time he had reached her room.

Demetrio tucked her in her warm bed, "I'll stay here as long as it takes for you to get your strength back. I swear it." He lightly stroked her hair as she calmly slumbered.