Chapter 11

Letta heaved as she raised her wheat basket above her head. Her heart was carefree as she balanced the load. As she passed by a thicket of brush, she gasped as someone grabbed her from behind and covered her mouth ." If you  move or scream, I'll break your neck. Do you understand?"

Letta's eyes frantically searched for help as she nodded as he eased them down to knees level.

The unknown attacker eased his hand down as he kept a firm grip on her wrist, "How far is the next river pass from here?"

Letta continued to look straight ahead so she could not see his face, "A bit sir, if you started now, you would be there before nightfall."

Aaron growled with frustration, "Where were you headed?"

Letta tried to think but fear blocked her creativity, "Home sir."

"How many of you are there?"

Letta pressed her eyes as she answered, "Only two."

"You and your husband?" Aaron slightly jerked her for a response.

Letta shook her head, "Only Sarah and I."

"Take me there! I need.. I need.." Letta turned a curious brow to her attacker.

He was about late twenties, with muscular build. His face was handsome with full lips, complimented with blue eyes and brown sandy hair. Letta looked down to the handsome Roman as he held his side with a bloody hand.

"Oh no, your hurt!" Letta slightly moved his hand to access his damage.

"Came to that conclusion all by yourself?" Aaron wrenched as she pressed on his wound.

Letta wrinkled her brow at his rudeness. She didn't say a word as she pushed away from him and the ground. He tried to grab her as he pressed his lips together. He growled as pain shot through his side, "Get back here!"

Letta stood with her hands on her hips as she stared down at him, "Why should I help you, if you insult me?"

"I told you, I'll break your neck.." Aaron heaved and pressed his eyes close as he endured his pain.

"Hmm.. looks like you can't even move. By looks of your wound you will be dead by morning." Letta crossed her arms as she waited for his response.

"Help me you wench!" Aaron cut his blue eyes up to her skinny figure.

"Have you ever tried to ask nicely? You can go far, by showing a little kindness."

Aaron gritted his teeth, "Please! Please.. help me."

Letta quickly eased back down beside him and pulled his arm across her shoulder. She was surprised by the amount of blood that he had already lost, he was still able to walk.

The duo finally made it back to the farm, "Sarah! Come quick!"

Sarah dropped her weaving and met Letta at the gate. She heaved Aaron's other arm over her shoulder, "Are you mad? He's a Roman! Enemy of Maxentius! If they find him here.."

"Sarah..? Please.." Letta pleaded with her big eyes.

Sarah silently nodded and the two women carried him to the straw bed. Sarah instructed Letta to recover fresh weather and to build up the stove fire. Aaron's eyes rolled back and forth as he was trying to stay awake. Letta watched as Sarah took a hot poker from the fire.

Arron's eyes widened as she came towards the bed with it, "What is this about?... Aaaahh!!"

Without warning, Sarah plunged the hot poker into his wound. Aaron clenched his eyes shut and passed out from  pain.

Two days later Aaron slowly eased his eyes open as he moaned. Letta was fast asleep at the kitchen table. Her brow wrinkled as she stirred from her sleep.

She eased her stiff neck up and rolled it until she heard Aaron speak, "I'm hungry."

Letta rolled her head to Aaron, "Sarah! It's awake.."

Aaron scowled at the young woman, "Please.. I'm very hungry.."

Letta smirked to the side, "Well.. looks like your trainable after all."

Aaron growled as he watched her ease from her chair. He watched her every move as she prepared his breakfast to make sure she wasn't going to poison him. Once she was finished Letta eased down to the bed and handed him his food.

Letta watched as he scarfed his meal, "Oh, my.. When was the last time you had a meal..?"

Aaron didn't look up from his plate, "I was going to ask you the same, your nothing but skin and bones.. and pale.."

"Anymore compliments to the chef..?" Letta batted her eyes at her pain of a guest. She tried to hide her pain through sarcasm, she knew she was skin and bones, but with their food limited; she didn't have a choice.

Aaron glared at her as he finished his meal and handed her his plate. 

His eyes cut to the door as Sarah came in carting a large bucket of warm water, "Alright Letta, time for his bath."

Aaron did a double take as he watched Letta leave the house, "Wwhhaat.. what are you doing?"

Sarah smirked, "Don't worry, little boys don't interest me."

Aaron swallowed a lump in his throat as he leaned to look for Letta, "Well.. why won't she wash me?"

"Because she is innocent, and I plan to keep her that way." Sarah winked at him as she threw back his covers to reveal his nakedness and started to scrub him. Aaron had never been so embarrassed.