Chapter 11 - Eggs, Bacon and Caramel

Lilith

The young woman opened her eyes as she was woken up by the smell of eggs and bacon.

"Smells nice." She chuckled, creeping up behind Doctor Reid. He jumped and turned around, before stammering,

"Oh, y-yeah. Sorry if I woke you up."

"No worries. Is the breakfast for me too or are you kicking me out?"

"Well, I did cook for two. I didn't bother preparing coffee for you, though."

She smiled at his thoughtfulness.

She took a seat behind the counter, waiting for the food. As she devoured the plate Reid had given her, she asked,

"So, how did you sleep?"

He turned around to face her, before replying,

"Pretty well. My couch is more comfortable than one may think."

Lilith realised he was lying. The bags under his eyes had worsened, and his hair was messy. She suddenly felt guilty.

"I'm sorry, Doc. You gave up on sleep because of me."

She looked down, both guilty but also touched that he was so kind to her.

The man bent down to look at her.

"Hey, it's okay."

As he moved his hand across the table to pat her shoulder, he knocked over his cup of coffee, spilling over the table, and beyond.

"I'm so sorry! I'm so sorry!" He kept repeating.

Her shirt was soaked, a light brown stain adorning it.

"It's fine, really." Lilith was surprised, rather than angry. The shirt didn't have much value to her but the chain of events startled the girl.

"I-I can clean it if you want!" Reid was profoundly mortified, and constantly tripped over his words.

"Don't worry about it. I would really appreciate it if you could lend me a shirt for the day, though." Lilith chuckled. To her this was more of a funny situation than anything else.

"Of course! Just a second!"

He disappeared into a corridor, and came back holding an ivory shirt with buttons at the front.

That is so like him, she thought.

"Thank you, I'll try and give it back as soon as I can."

"Sure!" He said, quickly.

After slipping into the new clothing, Lilith glanced at her thin silver watch.

"I should go, it's soon time for work and I don't really want to miss the train."

"I can go with you." He paused, before adding, "That's only if you want me to, of course."

Looking into his eyes, she replied,

"I want you to."

***

The two chatted on the train platform, as they waited. Lilith loved his company, and she was a bit sad that their fun little adventure was over.