Chapter 27 - Snake

As her eyes fluttered open, Lilith lazily looked up. She was greeted with Spencer's face, still asleep. Confused at first, she suddenly remembered the entire night.

Crap, she thought. She felt ashamed.

Lilith didn't move so as not to wake up Spencer, but mostly because his chest was warm. She kept her face in the crease of his neck. He smelled like lime. Suddenly, she felt him move under her, and the doctor opened his eyes.

"Hey..." Spencer softly said, stroking back one of her black locks. "How did you sleep?" He asked.

"Well, thanks to you. I'm really sorry about last night, I should have told you about my panic attacks."

"Hey, it's okay. It wasn't your fault."

She remained silent, her head still resting on his chest.

"Can we stay like this for a little longer?"

"Of course." The doctor replied with a soft voice.

They lingered, their bodies close but comfortable. The room was calm, and they could both picture themselves falling asleep very soon.

"LILITH!"

The door flung open, and two children ran into the room. They jumped unto the bed of the friends, and disrupted the comfortable silence.

"Come eat with us!" The kids screamed gleefully, jumping around her. They were probably her cousins, around four or five.

"Yes, yes..." The young woman sighed affectionately as she rubbed her tired eyes. The children were delighted, and quickly ran out of the room. "Guess we got to go, Doc."

"I don't think you should call me Doc in front of your family, it sounds quite friendly." Spencer joked.

"Really?" She smiled. "I always saw  it as sort of teasing and playful. Maybe even cute."

"Is that what you initially thought of when you first called me that?" He smirked.

"Maybe, my sweet defibrillator."

"Wait, is 'my sweet defibrillator' my new nickname?"

"Of course not, bacon pie." She smiled maliciously, and jumped out of bed. Her oversized shirt made her seem even more petite, and her ruffled hair was simply adorable. Spencer just wanted to reach out to her and hug her again. She turned around, and asked with a smile,

"So, are you coming 'darling'?"

***

Spencer grabbed a boiled egg. The breakfast table was lively, as everyone had gotten together for the meal.

"So...I suppose you guys had fun last night..?" Aunt Marthe shot a look at the two friends.

"Excuse me...what?"

"I heard you scream 'Spencer'. You aren't very discreet, you know." Marthe winked at her niece and giggled.

Lilith's mouth formed an O as she realised what the older woman was insinuating. Her face turned red as stuttered a response.

"Oh, god no... auntie...it's not what you think..."

"Jesus Lilith, no need to explain. You guys are young and need some fun! I underst-"

"Marthe! There are kids around this table!" Her face was so red it was nearly the same shade as the grape juice she was drinking.

Spencer just laughed, a tiny bit embarrassed. He took Lilith's hand and replied to Marthe.

"We're waiting until marriage."

Lilith nearly choked.

Marthe simply exploded with laughter.

"I like you a lot, Spencer, but you can't trick me. I know she's tamed the snake before."

Lilith dramatically face palmed.

"Could you... not use disgusting metaphors when taking about me?"

"Alright, alright..." Marthe repressed her laughter.

The young woman stood up, her empty plate in hand. She leaned over to Spencer, and whispered playfully,

"You. You're gonna die."