Chapter 41 - Kiss and Tell

Garcia's jaw dropped.

"Wh-what? I thought... you and Spencer were only friends?"

"I thought so too..." Lilith choked into Garcia's arms, starting to sob again. "I always felt weird around him, I just didn't understand. But now seeing him with Jay, it hurts... He's happy with her I think, so I should be happy for him..."

Penelope looked away, unsure.

"Baby, are you sure that's not the alcohol speaking..?"

"I'm sure." She buried her face in her chest, tightening the hug. Everything was hitting her. Her head was spinning, both intoxicated and confused. Finally, she understood everything. All the feelings, the tears, the way her heart would tighten when she was around him. All fell into place. "I don't know what to do...Penelope..." She sniffled.

Garcia stroked her friend's hair, thinking.

"I'm gonna be honest, I'm gonna tell you what I would do, ok princess?" She sighed, before starting again. "I would tell him."

Lilith pulled her face away, a little taken aback.

"Wh-what? No, I can't."

"I know it sounds stupid since he's seeing someone and all, but I think it can really help you move on. Sometimes rejection is the cure. Maybe you won't be rejected, even."

Lilith shook her head. "No, no... I'm not a bitch, I wouldn't do that to Jay. And I know he doesn't like me... we've known each other for more than a year, he would have made a move on me by now." She murmured the end of her sentence, coming to terms with it.

"Lil, I know, I've been in the same situation as you before. And I made the mistake of letting my feelings untouched. I pined over the guy for so long, and it ended up leading to nothing. If I'd told him before, maybe I would have managed to move on. Yeah, it will suck for a bit, but that will be off your chest."

Lilith looked down.

"Are you sure?"

"I can't guarantee anything, I'm just telling you what I'd do, baby."

The medical examiner took a deep breath.

"Alright, I'll do it."

"Oh my god! Yes! I'm so proud of you!" Penelope took her in a tight hug. Lilith laughed, a little surprised.

"Yeah, although I don't think I could face him while I said it. I mean, look at my face."

"Oh, yeah, you're right..." Garcia cringed as she realised Lilith's makeup was completely smudged from the crying.

"It's going to be lame, but I think I'd rather do it by text."

Garcia shrugged. "Whatever floats your boat, I just want you to be happy."

Lilith pulled out her phone. She sighed.

"What should I say?"

"Just be short and sweet."

Her fingers quickly typed out,

I like you.

She closed her eyes and pressed the send button.

"Okay. I sent it."

Penelope covered her mouth with her hands.

"I hope it goes well..."

"I hope so too... I'm too drunk for this..." She crouched, her hands on her forehead. Garcia grabbed the young woman's hand and hoisted her up.

"Okay, sweetie, let's go back to the kitchen, we'll get you a cup of water."

Lilith and Garcia spent the next hour together, talking about their worries in the kitchen. Garcia revealed the guy she had pined over for such a long time was Derek, to Lilith's surprise. She felt so relieved to have someone to confide to. But she somehow could not get the text out of her mind. She kept looking back all the time at her screen.

Nothing.

And yet, she knew he'd seen the message. Garcia and she had watched Spencer from their table and had seen him pull out his phone multiple times. So why wasn't he answering?

Lilith realised that he might have been ignoring her.

Garcia poked her friend. "Hey, Lil, I think Spencer is leaving with Jeanine... they have separate cars, right? You could catch him alone right now..."

Lilith watched as Spencer and Jeanine put on their coats in the living room and made their way out of the door. "Yeah, maybe... I could talk to him now that I've removed all the crazy makeup from my face."

"Then you should probably hurry up..."

Lilith sprung to her feet.

She made her way out, every step more determined. She was going to tell him everything. Get everything off her chest, get turned down and finally move on from the weird feelings she'd been having for the past months. Lilith hurried down the stairs, hoping to catch up to him. She pushed the door and rushed into the parking, out of breath. Trying to calm herself down, she finally saw Spencer at the corner of the street.

With Jeanine.

Jeanine on her tiptoes, her arms around his neck.

Kissing.