Chapter 30 - Be(d)st friends

"You can sleep with me if you want, Spencer."

"Excuse me - What?"

"I know it hurt your back when you slept on the floor last time, and I know you won't let me sleep on the floor because you know about my insomnia, so we can compromise. We're good friends after all."

"Yeah, it's true." Spencer also told himself that in case she had a nightmare, he would already be next to her. He got up, lifted the cover and crawled in the sheets to lie down next to her. He remained stiff, a little awkward. The doctor shot a quick glance at Lilith: she was only wearing an oversized shirt. Spencer quickly looked away, a little uneasy. She, however, rolled around in the bed so she could face him, and looked into his eyes.

"Thanks for punching Mark today. It was quite satisfying to watch, even though I'm not used to that side of your personality."

Spencer smiled a little.

"I'm not used to it either, to be honest. I don't know myself so well. Actually, I think you're the person who knows the most about me." His hand under his pillow and his other on his chest, he slightly tilted his head so he could see Lilith properly.

"Same here." She simply replied, returning his smile. Adorable. "It's kind of funny. The only person who knew me as well was Angela, and she had known me since childhood. We've only known each other for around a year."

"Actually, 10 months and 3 weeks if you want a bit more precision."

She chuckled.

"Yeah, so you get my point. We're close both mentally and physically." She joked, referring to the bed they had to share. They laughed. 

"Now that I think about it..." Spencer said jokingly, "If Derek saw us like that, sharing a bed, he'd probably go crazy. I'm such a mess around women and people in general that he'd be surprised."

"I think that you're more about creating meaningful relationships rather than rushing into ones you aren't sure about. Of course, your friend making process is slower than for other people, but then again everybody differs and that's why you shouldn't worry so much."

Spencer slightly nodded.

"Yeah, but sometimes I wish this process went a little faster, you know. We could have become friends earlier if I wasn't an awkward idiot. There are moments where I wish I was like Derek, you know? He's just so charismatic, strong and handsome, and I'm just-"

"No, Spencer. I usually love to hear you ramble but not here. I don't want you to put yourself down, because it hurts the both of us. You are most definitely not an « awkward idiot ». In fact, you're one of the smartest people I know. You shouldn't aspire to be like Derek, because you were already given a body, and a mind. You should only aspire to completely be yourself, and it's only when you achieve that that you'll become both charismatic and mentally strong. And seriously, I have no clue where you got the idea that you might not be handsome. You're much more my type than Derek."

Spencer was slightly surprised.

"I thought Mark was your type?"

Lilith pulled a face.

"Oh god. The sound of that name makes me want to puke. Only good guys for me now, please."

Spencer laughed at her grimace. When he calmed down, he linked his pinky with hers, not caring much about being touched. He wiped a laughter tear, and said,

"Thanks for being my friend."

Lilith grinned.

"You mean « thanks for being my BEST friend », right?"

Spencer smiled, a little surprised.

"Yeah, sure Lilith. Thanks for being my best friend."