Chapter 23 - Christmas?

Spencer sipped on his tea at the kitchen counter, while Lilith laid down on her sofa. This was his first time hanging out in her flat, and he had consciously chosen not to sit too close to her, as he did not like the way his brain was unable to focus when she was next to him.

Lilith let out a sigh, and sat on the couch. She brought her folded legs to her chest, and rested her chin on her knees. The young woman looked pensive.

"Is there something wrong, Lilith?"

"Oh, Doc, it's not that important. Don't worry."

"You know you can tell me anything, right?"

Of course she knew that. It was the precise reason why she could not tell him. She didn't want things to become awkward and lose him.

To her surprise, the doctor got up from his chair and took a seat next to her. Ignoring the feeling in his chest, he took her hand.

"Seriously, Lilith. If you don't want to tell me then don't tell me. But know that I can help you."

Lilith took a large breath.

"Okay. Basically, every year, for Christmas, we have a big family reunion. And every year, they try to set me up with someone. So, this year, I told them I already had a boyfriend."

"Oh." Spencer said, a weird feeling in his chest.

"Except I don't. And now, they want me to bring him to the family reunion."

"I see." Spencer was weirdly relieved. "Do you think perhaps... I could pretend to be... you know? I mean, we're friends and all so it's not that big of a dea-"

"You'd do that for me?" Her eyes widened.

"Lilith, you practically reconciled my mother and I, which I thought would be impossible. Of course I'd do that."

"Are you sure?" I wouldn't want to interrupt any plans of yours..."

"Positive. My mom isn't in a good shape for visits at the moment, and most of my team has plans."

"Oh my, Spencer. I'm so happy to have you as a friend." Lilith rose from her seat, smiling, and placed a kiss on the doctor's cheek before disappearing  into the kitchen. Spencer was left flustered by this sudden action, and attempted to conceal his reddening cheeks.