-19- How the Cookie Crumbles

Batman fast walked through the hallways of Mount Justice, since Robin's call his worry had escalated to the amount so high he had left the league with not so much as a goodbye. He felt kinda bad for ducking out on the league when they needed him but Danny was much more important than some alien alliance something or other.

He neared the infirmary and saw Robin and Kid Flash sitting right outside the door that was most likely the halfa's. Robin had a sullen look on his face while Wally had a concerned frown. It was unlike the speedster to be not talking or moving in any way, but both were still, almost in mourning.

They looked up at his approach, Robin's eyes filled with relief but also pleading. Batman wasted a little time talking to them, only pointing to the door to make sure it was the right room. At his adoptive son's nod he swiftly but somehow slowly entered the room.

--0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0-

Danny shivered under the bed, his eyes all puffy and half lidded. He a had cried so much he was exhausted, he did have anymore tears to shed. The tear streaks on his cheeks were unnaturally cold, when he went to wipe them away his fingers brushed against little icicles that stung his skin. His body felt weak, as if the slightest breeze could blow him away into dust. His emotional state wasn't much better. He felt numb, the odd sensation of ants crawling over his skin covered his hands and face.

There was something in his chest, a burning, yet freezing, sensation that felt void and empty. His heart felt as if it were on the trapeze, twisting, flipping, flying, and falling. It felt akin to when the GIW messed with his heart, they poked and prodded, and right now it felt as if a huge knife was implanted in his heart.

It ached and longed for repreve, but the little boy had no idea how to deal with this kind of pain. Emotional pain is not one he had encountered before now, with the GIW he actually tried to suppress all his emotions so he wouldn't have to feel.

It was pain worse than any GIW experiment. It was frightening because he didnt know how to overcome it, he didn't think it would heal on its own. He needed something, he didnt know what, but he needed it.

The sound of heavy boots and the rattling of the door knob spooked Danny out of his thoughts. Was it Batman like Wally promised?

The Dark Knight entered the room.

Danny let out a small imperceptible sigh of relief, to his surprise the ache in his chest somewhat dulled. Batman in all his dark glory rushed in with a small 'whoosh', having his sights set on Danny. The halfa waited for the vigilanti go get closer before braking out of his curled form.

Batman lowered himself to Danny's level, hoping he wasn't back to square one with the child. As soon as his knees touched the hard floor Danny burst forth and flew to Batman. The Caped Crusader blinked for a moment, stunned. He gently hugged the halfa, the adolescent clinging onto his bulky form. His shoulders shook but no cries nor tears were shed. Batman could feel his little phantom's body radiating coldness, he frowned but pushed the thought aside for later contemplation.

"It's ok Danny, I'm here."  He said softly. Danny's thin arms just squeezed tighter, he didn't want him to leave ever again.

Upon contact with his surrogate father Danny's face grew wet, but not with tears, the icicles were melting. His body slowly regained its heat, although still cold as he was in his ghostly form. Batman held onto the half dead child, stroking his fluffy white hair and rubbing his back in circles, making shushing noises and rocking back and forth.

The swaying motion relaxed Danny, he finally felt safe. His tense muscles softened, his quick breathing became deeper. Bruce felt the ghost practically melt in his arms, he rearranged him so Danny's small form was cradled in one arm against his side. The child's face snuggled against the billionaire's chest, seeking the warmth and protection it provided.