-21- Vocabulary Lessons

The next day was the day Batman and the rest of the League returned from their off-world mission, it had only been two days but to Danny it felt like a lifetime.

Upon Batman's arrival at the mountain Danny refused to leave his side, sometimes going as far as holding onto the man's leg as he walked, much to the amusement to the league and team. Most of them wondered how the small child had become so attached to the Dark Knight, the one League member who was notoriously bad with children.

Danny was immensely happy to be back in the manor with Bruce and Dick, and maybe even Alfred. He preferred the large windows in the manor that always had light shining through, even at night when the stars were out. Danny had seen them after waking up after an unpleasant dream(not a nightmare). The halfa had slid out of the bed, the sheets all twisted with his writhing, a soft blue glow pulled his attention to the wall to wall window a few yards from his bed. He stared in awe and walked as if in a trance, eventually pressing his hands up against the glass, his eyes as big as the crisp full moon that shone down on him.

Millions of tiny lights were scattered across the navy blue sky, some shining brighter than others, one even leaped across the sky in a dash of light. Danny's breath fogged up the glass, he quickly whipped it away with his long sleeve so he could continue to marvel at the brilliant show of the night. It was so large, and full of wonderful colors, it reminded him of the cores he sees. Light blues and purples hued the sky in several places, one blue patch stretched across the sky in a large arch.

"Whoa..." he breathed out, his crystal blue eyes glued unblinking upwards into the starry night.

A memory tugged at his mind, remembering seeing the star-lit sky on a warm night with his adopted dad. He could almost feel his father's large body behind him as the halfa sat in his lap while the orange clothed man pointed out the different constellations and other night time wonders in the sky. He remembered being in awe, sitting atop their home's uniquely shaped roof.

He was pulled back to the present when the sun began to rise.

Brilliant rays of sunshine illuminated the sky, the light orange and warm yellow chasing away to cool purples and blues of the night. Danny noticed that the ground and everything that the rays didn't hit were encased in thick shadows, darkest just before the dawn. His vision was blurred as his breath fogged up the glass again and he swiped it away.

The sun peaked out from the horizon, as if nervous to start its debut across the sky, warm rays filtered in through the windows, casting the room in a red-orange glow. Danny felt his jaw go slack, the night was wonderful but the transformation from night to day was as stark as his own.

He blinked as he realized he could not stare at the sun, it hurt his eyes too much. He rubbed away the sun spot under his eyelids and focused on the other details of the morning. A few birds flew from tree to tree, a light wind rustled the orange leaves on the trees, a few getting blown off and tumbling gently to the ground.

He eventually sat and watched the sun continue to rise, steadily growing brighter and harder to look at. He didn't notice the door to his room opening and a black haired boy poke his head in.

"Hey Danny." He whispered, trying to get his attention without scaring the halfa. Said child twisted his body around and realized it was only his brother.

"H-hi Dick." He said softly, he still wasn't able to get that stutter out of his system.

Dick took his greeting as an invitation and pushed the door wider to let himself in. He was in a clean buttoned up coat and pressed pants, looking very civilized and a bit snobbish. His hair was slicked back uncharacteristically and contrasted his usual perky nature. Danny turned his attention back to the sky, wondering if anything had changed in the few seconds he had been distracted.