CHAPTER THREE

Welcome to La Orian Academy

"What the hell? This class is so boring! Paulit-ulit na lang lahat ng discussions!" reklamo ni Dwayne Suarez sabay luwang ng kan'yang necktie at bahagyang sinuklayan ang kan'yang buhok gamit ang kan'yang mga daliri, tanda ng bahagya n'yang pagkainip. Isa s'ya sa labing-dalawang estudyante ng Special Class.

"I second that. Really tedious," sabi naman ni Clyde Justin Dela Vega, isa rin sa mga estudyante ng Special Class.

"Playing PUBG or Valorant or League of Legends is much more stimulating than this boring of a class," wika ni Dwayne.

Napatingin naman si Clyde sa gawi ni Archles na ngayon ay mahimbing na natutulog. "Tignan n'yo nga 'yang si Archles. Pagkatapos mag-solve ng finance reports at progress sa company nila, ayan, natutulog."

"Just let him. This class is so monotonous just like that one who is writing on the board," bahagya namang tinuro ni Mark Andrew Gosiengfiao ang board kung saan nagsusulat si Mr. Dela Cerna, ang kanilang Chemistry Teacher.

Natigilan naman sa pagsusulat sa board si Mr. Dela Cerna matapos n'yang marinig ang sinabi ni Mark. Napakuyom s'ya sa kan'yang chalk at agad na hinarap ang kan'yang mga estudyante. "Mr. Mark Gosiengfiao! Can you please explain to us what is Stoichiometry because you are not LISTENING!"

Bored namang tumayo si Mark at napahimulsa muna s'ya bago sumagot. "Stoichiometry is an important concept in Chemistry that helps us use balanced chemical equations to calculate amounts of reactants and products. Here, we make use of ratios from the balanced equation. In general, all the reactions that take place depend on one main factor: how much substance is present. The term stoichiometry was first used by Jeremias Benjamin Richter in 1792 when the first volume of Richter's Stoichiometry or the Art of Measuring the Chemical Elements was published. Chemical Stoichiometry refers to the quantitative study of the reactants and products involved in a chemical reaction. The word "stoichiometry" is derived from the Greek word "stoikhein", meaning element, and "metron", meaning measure. In patristic Greek, the word Stoichiometria was used by Nicephorus to refer to the number of line counts of the canonical New Testament and some of the Apocrypha.

"Stoichiometry is founded on the law of conservation of mass where the total mass of the reactants equals the total mass of the products, leading to the insight that the relations among quantities of reactants and products typically form a ratio of positive integers. This means that if the amounts of the separate reactants are known, then the amount of the product can be calculated. Conversely, if one reactant has a known quantity and the quantity of the products can be empirically determined, then the amount of the other reactants can also be calculated. Stoichiometry is an important concept in Chemistry that helps us use balanced chemical equations to calculate amounts of reactants and products.

"Here, we make use of ratios from the balanced equation. In general, all the reactions that take place depend on one main factor: how much substance is present. Stoichiometry helps us determine how much substance is needed or is present. Things that can be measured are, reactants and products mass, Molecular weight, Chemical equations, and Formulas. The stoichiometric coefficient or stoichiometric number is the number of molecules that participate in the reaction. If you look at any balanced reaction, you can notice that there are an equal number of elements on both sides of the equation.

"The stoichiometric coefficient is basically the number present in front of atoms, molecules, or ions. Stoichiometric coefficients can be fractions as well as whole numbers. In essence, the coefficients help us to establish the mole ratio between reactants and products. One of the things under Stoichiometry is the Balanced Reaction and Mole Ratio, wherein Atoms and molecules are extremely small in size, and their numbers in a minimal amount of a substance are vast. Therefore, a mole concept was introduced to represent atoms and molecules in bulk. One mole of any substance contains 6.022 x 1023 numbers of that substance.