Part 13; prom

"Can you hurry up, Molly?!" my mum shouted up the stairs for the millionth time this evening. She was beginning to get on my nerves, as she was aware of how long it took to dry my matted hair and sort out my makeup.

"I'll be five more minutes!" I called as I switched on the straightners. They heated up immediately, and after about thirty seconds, I pulled them through my shoulder length hair until I was satisfied that my troublesome curls were straight.

"Your friends are stood down here so get a move on!"

"I'm just coming!"

A chuckle escaped my lips as I lifted my light pink clutch bag off my dresser and slipped my pale feet into my huge blue heels. They shimmered under the light of my over-head lamp and I smiled to myself, catching a glimpse of how my naturally slim body looked in my brand new dress. Seeming a little vain, I had to say that the dress complimented my features perfectly, as a result of the pale cream colour not causing me to look as washed out as I usually did. The thin row of jewels and sequins around my middle that were delicately sewn onto the dress caused the skirt part to hang into a dip hem. The skirt was longer at the back than it was at the back, giving the frock a sophisticated look. I was pretty happy with how I'd turned out.

I left my room, flicking off the light and gently shutting the door so that I wouldn't give my mother the satisfaction of letting her know that I was on my way down. I hadn't allowed her to see my dress after I'd bought it; not even my friends or the One Direction girlfriends had seen it, as I wanted to keep it a surprise. I'd seen all the dresses that the other girls were wearing tonight and had to say that they were going to look amazing, as per usual.

I held onto the back of my dress with my left hand so that I didn't fall flat on my face as I began down the stairs. My fingers on my right hand trailed down the wooden bannister, ready to grip onto the thick pole just in case I went to fall down the long set of stairs. As I reached the middle of the stair case, my friends all began turning their heads, along with my mum. My shoes clicking against the wooden stairs had given me away.

My mum's jaw fell open as she caught sight of me, and her hands instantly flew up to her cheeks. She slapped each side of her face with her hands, as if to stop her from staring. Unlike her, my friends weren't being very subtle. A few of them winked at me in a joking fashion, whereas the others just fell into silence, staring intently at me. I felt my cheeks warm slightly from all the attention as I reached the final step.

I released the hold on the back of my dress and lifted my head. It fell gently and the back just touched the heel of my shoes as it hung off my body casually.

"Oh. My. God." Bella spat. "You look... amazing!"

I giggled slightly and did a dramatic courtsey in front of them all. They quickly burst into laughter, breaking any previous remnants of awkwardness in the air. Everyone was smiling.

I admired each girl for a minute, taking in their outfit and looking them all individually in the eye. Bella, who was sporting a short turquoise frock with a bow around the middle, was the tallest out of the bunch of girls and towered over them all with ease; she wasn't the tallest out of us, but she had the hugest heels on that I began to wonder how she hadn't hit her head on the top of the door frame on the way in. This thought made the corners of my mouth turn up slightly, and Bella smiled back warmly.

My eyes moved over to Abie, who was wearing a light pink dress. She had flat shoes on that were white, but had sequins all over them which caused them to sparkle when she moved her feet as the light hit them. Her dress hugged her figure, the thick material finally stopping just above her knees. Her hair was hanging in loose curls and her eyes were lined with brown eyeliner that looked as if it had been done professionally, as a result of it being so neat. I felt envious of how she managed to do her makeup so perfectly, and chuckled slightly as one of the other girls commented on her eyes just as I was wondering how she could have done them with such ease.