29. Silverious

SKERPLA DAY OF THOR

The sun was not even on the horizon when I was woken by my maidservants. I plotted to skip out and already prepared an excuse. I didn't want to be alone with the king. Even so, he seemed to know what I was thinking that he came personally. I almost fell on the bed when the maidservant reported King Freed was waiting outside.

The hours of preparation were condensed into several minutes as they dressed me up as fast as they could. My hair was fixed in a loose braid on my side. The dark green gown was hidden beneath the furred cape provided by the King himself.

At least he had consideration about the chilling winds of Deliora on early mornings. This was the only kingdom having the lush greens and the Winterlands in their territory so it was much colder compared to Ezriel.

They stepped out and the king was standing opposite the hallway in a similar stance as Reid was yesterday. 

"Your majesty." I bowed as soon as we fully exited the chamber.

"A lovely morning, Princess Carline," King Freed greeted as well.

"Likewise, your majesty."

He held out his arm and I accepted it, locking my arms on him as we strolled outside. It was certainly more vast than our palace garden. The surrounding may have lost their saturation and looked dull due to dark green leaves and white flowers but every flower was of a different kind.

It was as if every single white flower in the continent was brought here.

"Do you have any questions to ask, Princess?" he prompted when we were basked in silence the whole time.

"Nothing, your majesty," I said when in fact I did have a lot.

"Don't worry. You can ask me anything. You look like an inquisitive person who always searches for answers so I don't mind," he stated with sureness as if he knew everything about me.

I wished to ignore and politely refuse him but eventually, I surrendered to my curiosity.

"If you excuse my insolence, your majesty, I do wonder why you chose me as a candidate."

He merely stared at me while I waited for him to speak. His eyes were evidently the same as Reid's. The perfect hue of brown was so similar that captivated her for some reason.

His lips finally moved and answered, "Let's just say I'm intrigued."

"But that isn't enough reason to marry some stranger, your majesty."

"That reason will suffice, Princess."

"Then again we just met once and don't even know each other, your majesty."

"Well, that is why we are having the Selection, aren't we?"

"You can't just find the perfect bride in a mere three days." I tried so hard not to raise my voice so he can see reason in this absurdity.

This whole Selection was a whole joke in my opinion. Cindra was right. This was pure rubbish. Even if it was me or the others who were chosen, there was no way a fruitful relationship could come up from this game.

"It doesn't matter, Princess. In this day and age, a political marriage is nothing personal anymore as long as both parties have an agreement. It is purely for the sake of power."

That sounded like an obnoxious person would say. I shouldn't have expected much from a young king. He was not wise beyond his years as they depicted him to be.

Maybe the previous king really did pass him the throne because he was nearing his deathbed. It was only recently that I had learned that King Freed was actually the youngest king in history at the age of twenty-one.