47. The Real Monster

Trigger Warning: This chapter may contain scenes including violence, trauma, sexual harassment, abuse, or emotional distress. If you are uncomfortable with the following, please skip this chapter.

SÓLMÁNUÐUR DAY OF WODEN

The day started per usual. Reichen was cooking breakfast while I prepared tea. Ever since I came here, he was always in charge of food. With how domestic he was, I would never assume he was a king if he did not tell me.

I was getting used to life outside the palace but the apprehension resurfaced again. I wanted to know what happened in the palace. They were clearly searching for me but that was it and the anxiety lurked in the back of my mind.

Problems had been piling up recently. First, was the matter of Lady Mhilrim and the Lost Treasures. Then there was a Night, who had not returned yet. There was also the notion that my eldest brother was alive but most of all, Xenon's identity.

I was not long in this organization but Reichen explained who were the Reapers. Unlike Amicas who could choose to decide to join the Crusaders, all Cattivos were members of Reapers. 

If the Crusader instilled rules for Amicas and an organization that served as a mediator between mortals and those with magic, the Reapers were the ones causing all the mess.

Magic was an innate ability for Amica that could be set free once you were bestowed a name but the Cattivo's enchantment needed a price. To use it, you needed something in return and an enchantment with a life on the line was the most effective and powerful. It was no wonder they had not spared people from their greed and took the lives of anyone they deemed insignificant.

From what I gathered, it was six years ago that Anon had caused that mishap and it was near the time Xenon became one of Father's knights. I fairly remembered because, from the beginning, Father favored him.

He was assigned as my knight. He was a guard dog that kept me close as Father's prisoner despite my title. How I reviled on his presence back then...

***

Xenon was there standing with his brows always creasing. I heard the maidservants gossip from time to time. He was quite popular with them as well as with the other knights. I could not see what was good in him when he was just Father's mere slave.

No one was vicious as Father but I thought Xenon was much heartless as he remained a bystander when he knew everything that went behind the hidden passage where the oubliette was.

My whole body sored as we returned to my bed-chamber. It had been months but I could never get used to this wretched life. Father spent his afternoon with me and I could not take this anymore.

I had to talk to Yves. He was the second powerful man in this house. I was sure he could do something about this. He was the Crown Prince. Father would hear him out and the people here would follow him.

The only problem was no one could come in this wing so I had to go to him myself. Firstly, I need to sneak out of Xenon's watchful eyes.

***

After almost a fortnight, I now had my chance. Willow was visiting me. It has been a long time since we met. When Mother was alive, she always traveled here at least twice a month. During her stay, she was usually welcomed by Yves as they were engaged. This was an opportunity to talk to Brother.