Epilogue

"Chester?" a sweet familiar voice reached my ears.

"Chester? Wake up."

As I slowly opened my eyes, a semblance of a gorgeous face I had longed for a very long time caught my eyes. A pair of ocean-blue eyes were twinkling at me and there were soft pinkish lips that were filled with magnificent beauty. I wasn't dreaming at all.

"Luna? It's you!" relieved, I wrapped my arms around her who was sitting beside my bed. I could feel her heart beating through my tight hug.

"Chester, what... what are you doing?" asked Luna awkwardly but not pushing me away.

"You're alive!" I cried, hugging her tighter. Tears almost escaped my eyes.

"What?" she asked, confused.

I didn't want to let go of her because she might disappear anytime. I wanted this moment to last forever. Really, forever.

"You were dreaming, Chester," she murmured pushing me away.

"It was all but a bad dream?"

Her pretty face grimaced in complete confusion and just nodded slowly, "I guess so..."

I couldn't believe it. I looked around to check if it was all real. I was lying in a bed with white sheets and pillows. Everything was all white.

From the open window on the right corner of the room, the sun over the sky brightly shone cheerfully as if sending pieces of blissfulness to me, the grasses and flowers swayed vigorously by every mild gust of the cool wind.

"Where are we?" I asked.

"We're in hospital."

She paused,  "Did you forgot? I mean— uhm... you were moaning from a bad dream earlier so I woke you up."

Reality rushed through my veins. I was dreaming. It wasn't real at all!

I was with Luna and she was breathing. Alive. I could hear her voice that could sooth all the pains in the universe and I could feel and see her presence. She was real. This was real. No one was dead. And I couldn't help but savor this moment with her.

However, a piece of truth assuaged the happiness in me.

I realized that I had been diagnosed with stage three lung cancer since last month. I almost forgot because of that terrible dream. I would be dying in a month or two as the doctor had said.

"I'm sorry," I mumbled.

"You've been acting weird lately," she inquired,"What was your dream all about?"

I didn't want to tell her. I didn't want to talk about it again.

"Don't mind me. I'm fine," I spoke hugging her again.

"Luna?"

"Yeah?"

"Don't leave me, please."

"I won't," she assured and I heard a smile in her genuine voice.

***

Six Months Later~

Saltiness and crisp lingered over the air as the sunset shone magnificently over the horizon. The ocean was calm and the only sound that broke the silence around was the splashing of the ocean waves and the wind. Everything felt so comforting. I loved the cool misty air, the view of the sky and the waters, and the feeling of being with someone you've secretly loved.

I was still lucky for living more than what my doctor had told me but this couldn't be forever. I'd die soon and I have already accepted it. I'd rather be gone than live life without the people I loved. I guess, that bad dream had helped me a lot in a positive way.

I had come to the realization that before the people we love had been gone, we must be able to express our affection for them in any way we could. Time was so limited in this world and life was quite cruel sometimes, therefore, we must not let a single second be in vain.

As I sat on the wheelchair Luna was pushing slowly through the sand, I could almost feel my body collapse but it seemed as if I was in cloud nine. If I'd be given a chance to choose what time I'd want to die, this moment would be the perfect one.

Luna stopped and so did I.

"Luna?"

"Yeah? You need something?"

I sighed, "Nope."

"What is it?" she asked as she moved beside me.

"I have no idea when I'll die. It could be today or tomorrow so I want to say something to you," I paused collecting my thoughts, "I won't make this longer. I... I just want to... to say... that... I love you."

I was surprised she wasn't shocked at all. She replied with a giggle making me feel stupid and humiliated.

"What's funny? I'm being serious," I said irritably.

"You've already told me that six months ago before you sleep and wake up from your horrible dream," she snickered.

"I did? Oh, sorry!"

"It's okay. I love you, too, and everyday, I waited for you to say it again and I'm glad you did this time."

My knees felt weaker in every breathe I took.

"I'm so happy to be with you."

"I am, too. More than glad," she mumbled.

It was windy around the shore but it felt so difficult to catch air.

This might be the time, I thought.

"Luna, I just want you to be happy. No matter what. I don't want you to see crying. I'll miss your smile and your eyes."

"Chester—"

"Just... always s-smile 'coz if you won't, I... I'll miss your smiling... lips."

I couldn't breath anymore...

I held her hands and locked our fingers together. Her warm smooth skin felt so good.

"I... I l-love you... forever."

"I love you too, always."

A tear escaped our eyes. I knew this wouldn't be long.

"Always?" I asked.

"Forever," she replied.

I knew that I wouldn't be able to wake up tomorrow. I was sure that this would be the last second of my life.

My eyes started to close involuntarily; my heart stopped beating and then, all at once, my body felt numb and everything turned black.

T H E   E N D ~