Chapter 13: Let's Go Away Together

The following morning, I woke up bright and early. I immediately grabbed my phone to see whether Hayden had messaged me back, but much to my dismay, there was nothing. I sluggishly got up from bed and started getting dressed for the day. Caden was passed out on my couch, as he was most nights that he spend with me. When I got to the lounge where Caden was sleeping peacefully, I stared at him for a while. He really was attractive. His hair was sticking up in all directions, making him look rather cute and he had a small smile on his face.

“You done checking me out, princess?” He asked cheekily as he opened his eyes and looked at me. If I had known that he was awake, I wouldn’t have stared at him so long. I probably look like a complete dork or maybe a stalker. I shuddered at the thought that he was now probably weirded out by me.

“I.. I’m sorry Cade.. I was just.. uh..” I blabbered out, not knowing how to respond to what he was saying. I felt like a complete freak for staring at him, even though he is my boyfriend for over a month now. Boyfriend. Wow. I’m still getting used to actually calling someone that again.

“It’s alright princess, relax. I was only pulling your leg. Besides, it’s not such a bad thing, waking up and finding a gorgeous girl staring at you while you’re unaware. I’m rather happy I caught you. Now I know my girl at least checks me out.”

He winks at me and then he gets up from the couch. He lazily walks over to me and pulls me into his arms. He then places a soft kiss on my cheek while brushing a stray strand of hair from my face. Once we have finished our regular way of greeting each other in the morning, which is with a long hug and a quick peck on each cheek, he heads off to the bathroom to go get ready for the day. I immediately start preparing our breakfast and I make him his favourite cup of black tea. Why this man loves tea so much, I cannot understand but if he likes it, then that is what I will be making him every morning.

Sitting down together at the dining table, he quickly says a prayer for the food and then we start eating.

“So princess, I was thinking, with everything happening at the moment, would you like going on a short vacation with me perhaps? I have to go away for business for a week and I thought that maybe you could come with, then you won’t be so bored and alone?”

“That would be great!” I said without thinking. A vacation is all I need at the moment to help me with the stress of finding Zach and with what is going on between Hayden and myself. However, since Hayden is my boss, I will have to ask him for leave. I just hope he agrees. I need this too much at the moment.

“I’ll ask Hayden for leave at work today. I’m sure he won’t say no, but he is still my boss so I will have to get permission.” I say sadly. I really do hope he is understanding enough to grant me this one thing. Even if it’s the only thing he does for me for the rest of our friendship. I know, it sounds like I’m desperate to get away from him. The truth is, I don’t want to be away from Hayden for a whole week, I do, however feel that maybe some actual space between us will make him see the ridiculousness of the whole argument and then maybe it can be sorted out as soon as I come back.

After cleaning up, both Caden and myself exit my apartment and leave for work. The traffic is surprisingly hectic and glancing at my watch only confirms what I already know. I am going to be so late. Hopefully Hayden doesn’t notice the one time I’m actually late for work. When I finally arrive at the office, I am a full 50 minutes late. Yeah, not something that will go unnoticed. Luckily, I have no kids in today since it is a public holiday and most of the employees are off for the day. I unfortunately, have to work if I want to keep my grumpy boss impressed.

By noon I had finished all of the work I was supposed to do and I was ready to go home. Before I could do that though, I had to go speak with Hayden about the vacation, as well as our friendship, hopefully. I entered the elevator after locking up my office temporarily. I didn’t want anyone to enter and maybe steal something. As unlikely as it was, it could still happen. When I reached Hayden’s floor, I bravely walked over to his office and knocked on his door three times. No answer. Maybe he’s not here. Oh well, I guess I’ll just tell Caden I can’t go. Stop being such a coward! I mentally shouted at myself.