Chapter 18: You're Hot Hayden!

The remainder of the week went by uneventfully. I spent my days in the city, exploring and taking pictures. On the last day, I wore the dress that Hayden had bought me to a beautiful concert that was being held in one of the most magnificent buildings. That night, I met incredible artists and I also had the chance to see a five year old girl playing the piano like a professional.

Hayden still haven’t texted me back, which kind of bugged me. I knew that I didn’t actually do something wrong this time, so I assumed that he was probably busy at work and maybe he spent some quality time with Penelope. The thought made my heart squeeze uncomfortably as I thought of him neglecting our face time to be with her, however the rational part of my brain told me that it is normal for someone in a relationship to give all their attention to their partner.

I was currently on the airplane, flying back home. Caden didn’t even bother to say good bye to me when I left for the airport. We haven’t actually spoken at all after the fight we had. By the time that I’ve been in air for about 7 hours, started to get antsy. I missed Hayden more than I thought possible, and couldn’t wait to see him again. Whether he was with Penelope or not, I was going to hug him as tightly as I could the minute I saw him.

When the plane finally landed after the long flight, I went to my car that was safely kept at the  airport. I immediately went home and took a shower and got dressed in a beautiful pair of black skinny jeans, a white long sleeved shirt and my black ballet flats. I dried my hair and straightened it so that it could hang loosely around my face and then I applied some light makeup.

Since it was a weekday I decided that Hayden would be the very first person I wanted to give a hug to. I drove to the office in silence, however, when I got there, I was met with Penelope instead of Hayden. My heart thudded against my chest as I stood in front of her. She was even more beautiful in person. No wonder he was in love with her.

“Alesana, Hi. I’m Penelope. I’m guessing you’re looking for Hayden?” She said politely. I wish she could be mean. That would make it easier to dislike her. But she was far from it. She was kind and polite as she spoke to me.

“Yeah.. I uh.. Nice to meet you Penelope. I.. uh.. can I see Hayden?” I asked nervously. I hated that I had to ask to see my best friend but I understood that she was his girlfriend and that she had more privileges to see him than I did.

“Of course. However, he’s not here. He hasn’t been here at all in the last four days. I phoned him when his secretary reached out to me and he said he was just feeling a little under the weather, but he hasn’t answered his phone ever since.”

I immediately started to panic when she said this. This must be why he didn’t reply to my texts either. I was about to ask her if she knew the address to his apartment so that I could see him, when she beat me to it.

“Here’s his address. Go see him. I know if there’s anyone he will want to see, it’s you.” She said to me with a kind, soft smile.

“But why me? I’m just his friend.. surely he’d want to see his girlfriend rather than me.” I muttered.

“I’d have to disagree with that. Look, all I’m suggesting is, go to him. Surprise him, because I know you’re only supposed to be back next week so he will be thrilled to see his best friend now.” She spoke with such confidence that I actually wanted to believe her.

When I had finished speaking to her, I entered his address into my gps and then I went to his apartment. The drive wasn’t very long since there was little to no traffic at all and since he didn’t stay far away from his company. When I arrived at his place, I went straight to his door and started knocking. After a couple of minutes, the door swung open and I was greeted by a gorgeous Hayden. However, he did not look as good as he normally did.