Out on the Town

Mark's POV:

       "Mark, get your ass up here!" Sir Joseph screamed at me the next day while I was working on my daily chores. I rushed up to his room, out of breath as I entered. "We're going into town tomorrow to get some ball clothes for the boys and myself.. You will be coming too, but you'll stay in the coach while the boys and I get our clothes."

       "But Si- I mean Daddy Joe, what about MY ball clothes?" I asked.

       "Your week is not up yet, boy. AND it is not PRISTINE clean, either," he snarked. "Until this week is up and this house is spotless, you'll not be receiving ANYTHING for the ball." I looked at my feet in shame.

       "Y-Yes Daddy," I replied. He nodded and opened the drawer of his nightstand beside the bed.

       "Don't need you humiliating us in those rags," he said, pulling something out of the drawer. "You will wear these while we are out, but when we return, you will put that back on.. You understand?" I nodded solemnly, taking the clothes. "Now shoo!"

       I dashed down to the basement to change into my new clothes! Quickly slipping off the hideous, disgusting brown sack-thing and putting on the beautiful red rich-man outfit! I looked good, I also put my fedora back on to cover my color-changing hair. This was starting out as a GOOD day!

Prince Jack's POV:

       Knock, knock, knock.

       "Uh Prince Jack, time to wake up," Signe, my kind and slightly shy chamber maid woke me up from outside my bedroom door. "Today's your big outing before the ball." I rubbed sleep from my blue eyes and ran a hand through my neon green locks.

       "Signe, sweetheart," I called her that because she was just that– a sweetheart– and my closest friend. "Come on in, I dont bite." a slight click and turn of the handle meant she was entering— thank goodness I'm one of those guys who sleep with a shirt on. She gave me a shy smile, bringing in my breakfast tray.

       "How did you sleep, your highness?" She asked, just like she did every morning.

       "Alright... I guess," I truthfully hadn't slept that well at all. But, she needn't worry about me. So, I changed the subject by glancing over what Chef Ethan had prepared. "Ooh, Ethan's getting artsy. Oh my God, this pancake looks JUST like me!" He'd used chocolate bits and Green frosting to make my slight facial hair, huge eyebrows and my green hair on the pancake. "Aww, he even got my eyebrows right..." I looked up at Signe, she looked kinda sad.

       "Cheer up, Woosher," yet another nickname I called her by. "Hey looky here.." I opened my sidetable drawer to take out my drawing journal. "I made you a little somethin'." I revealed to her a (kind of crappy, yet adorable) doodle I did of her and I holding hands under the old willow tree by the creek when we were kids.

       "Aww, I remember that day," she said, a bright, genuine smile.

******

       "Wiish c'mon, I wanna show ya somethin'!" I shouted excitedly, running into the courtyard where my best friend for life sat, cleaning the benches. When I reached the tiny brunette, I grabbed her arm and tied pulling her up.

       "Seán, I can't play right now," she replied, annoyed. I, being six-years-old, whined and nagged, still pulling on her thin arm.

       "C'mon Signe, we never get to play anymore!" I whined, my grip slipping from her surprisingly strong forearm.

       "I have work to do, and you have lessons before you become king," she informed me for the billionth time. My fingers fully slipped from her arm and I fell onto my back with a soft thump. We both giggled at my little tumble and she ruffled one of her small hands in my green hair.

       "Okay fine, but just one time," she said, rolling her eyes playfully. I cheered and thanked her about one-hundred times, then I took her hand and dragged her out of the palace courtyard.

       "Here we are!" I announced as we arrived at a special secret part of the royal garden. A large willow tree loomed over a small spring, daffodiles and lilies littered the soft grass, butterflies fluttered about beneath the gorgeously warm sunshine; this was my surprise.

       "Oh, Prince Jack," she said, looking around in awe with her hands placed on her chest. "I-It's beautiful." Her silver-colored eyes wandered around, taking in the absolute magesty of this hidden place. I guess she didn't notice me sneek away to pick some flowers for her, because she walked over toward the willow tree. She looked so beautiful, standing there with the light breeze blowing her auburn hair and light blue dress gently.

       After picking a assortment of daffodils, lilies, tulips, and pansies then arranging them into a little floral wreath, I snuck up behind her and placed my creatiob on her head. She gasped in surprise and turned around to see me smiling at her softly. Her hands shot up to the flowers on her head and a light shade of pink and a grin of gratitude appeared on her face.

       "Signe Hansen, shall I have this dance?" I asked her, bowing with my hand outstretched for her to take.

       "Yes," she giggled sweetly and took my hand. We danced and I twirled her around for what felt like hours. Then, we lied down beneath the tree, and declared this as our special spot.

******

       We would meet beneath the Willow tree every night.. But then everynight turned into every week.. And every week turned to every month.. And— well, you get the picture.

       "Well uh, y-you should get ready for your trip into town," she said, solemnly cutting off my thoughts. "T-Thank you for the picture,.... Seán." My eyes went wide, I hadn't heard her call me by my real name in years, it took all my strength not to cry as I got ready for my outing.

|-/ Hello all you Rosebuds! Listen, I am SOO sorry for how long it's been since I updated this last. I've been having a bit of Writer's Block, and IT SUCKS!!  And gummybubbleguns, I am sorry.. I know, I said they'd meet in this chapter, but I feared this chapter would be too long if I went to that part, so THEY WILL MEET NEXT CHAPTER.. I promise! Thank you all so much for reading my stories; I hope you had a royale-tastic Christmas, Hanukkah,Kwanza, and New Years! And remember, stay rosey and always be your royale best. Catch ya later.|-/