My Fair Lady

A/N: Please take note that I'm not a seasoned historical fiction writer. As you probably know by now, I'm more adept at writing contemporary romance so I apologize if certain modern-day ways of speech might slip somewhere in the story. This is my 1st attempt at writing a historical story so I probably won't be historically accurate at all.

"Titania, I want you to get out of here this instance,"  Juliet called. It was simply unbecoming of her sister to act like a child at this instant.  Sir Bernard was due to arrive any moment soon. If he witnessed this scene, she shuddered to think what might happen if he pulled out of the wedding engagement.

"I refuse to come out," Titania shouted.

Juliet shook her head slowly, smoothening her pearly white gown to ensure that it was crease-free. What should she do with her little sister? What happened to the warnings she had given her the night before? Worst still, what would happen if they get thrown out?

"Where's that wretched girl?" A loud, commanding voice boomed.

"Mother." Juliet bowed low. Of course, Mrs Rosewood was her step-mother only. They had no blood relations whatsoever. After her parents had died in a carriage incident, both Tiania and her were taken in by her father's well-known, social-climbing mistress who was of a somewhat respectable lineage.

Mrs Rosewood's beady eyes peered at her. Juliet stared at her flattering red dress. She wondered where the woman had gotten the money to buy such an expensive gown. After Father had died, their family had run into debt and only their noble blood kept them in London's high society.

"Where is she?" she hissed.

"In the room," Juliet whispered. "She refuses to come out."

"Get her out of there," she snapped. "If not, both of you can see yourselves out of my house. I refuse to be disgraced in front of the Duke of Delcomn."

As Mrs Rosewood fluttered away, Juliet sighed. It was hard to be the responsible one here. Between Mrs Rosewood and her troublesome sister, she almost wished to be married off soon. Her sister had caught the eye of Sir Bernard at a ball and yet, Titania didn't realise how fortunate she was. Unlike Juliet, Titania had inherited their mother's beauty with her shining green eyes and curly brown hair. If only a respectable gentleman could pick her, Juliet, the plain debutante who was neither as beautiful nor skilled as the other girls. She felt like an ugly duckling whenever she stood next to her sister.

The door slammed open and her sister emerged, in her crisp blue grown. Her eyes were blood-shot and yet, her face was still eternally beautiful and radiant.

"Has that evil witch left yet?" she asked, though the answer was perfectly clear.

"Hush, sister," Juliet said softly. "You should be happy that the Duke of Balcomn fancies you."

"I've no need of these frivolous assurances," Titania said forcefully, wiping her pale, tear-stained face. "I love Cedric. Not this Duke I'm about to get engaged with."

Juliet placed her finger over her sister's lips. "Be careful. The walls have ears," she warned.

If word got out that Titania had dabbled with Cedric Hemsworth, one of their manservants, Titania would be cast out of London's high society and forever be barred from all social events. Juliet secretly pitied them. She daren't tell anyone this but they would have made a lovely pair if not for Cedric's poor social standing.

"Titania, you know that we need the money. Mrs Rosewood's dying to chase us out. Without her funding, how will we maintain our respectable position today?" Juliet continued gently. "For the sake of Father and Mother, for me, you must wed Sir Bernard so that the alliance can be beneficial for everyone."

"I can't marry a man I don't love."

"There's no such thing as love," Juliet replied sternly. "We marry for prestige, for our families, not to please ourselves."

"Mama and Papa married for love," Titania answered.

Juliet paused. No one knew about their family secret but her mother had been from a gentry class and was working at a noble household when her father had fallen in love with her. Owing to her exceptional looks, her mother was able to disguise herself as a rich cousin of her father's friend and no one questioned the lie because her mother had an inborn nobleness in her.

"Look at how that turned out," Juliet whispered. "I hear Sir Bernard's carriage arriving. Remember, your future depends on marriage." She stroked her sister's fine hair fondly. Soon, Titania would be a married wife and she would be left alone to face their step-mother. She shuddered to witness that day's arrival.

"Heeded, sister," Titania said dutifully and walked off gracefully towards the stairs.

Juliet closed her eyes, allowing herself a moment of silence. She then silently followed her sister, her heart wishing that she was in Titania's place.