2.9 - first kisses

3:47 PM

"What now?" Skylar asked, dropping her backpack in the middle of the room.

They had easily bought a hotel room for the night, since there was practically no one else in this town that needed one that night. Luke kind of liked it, him and Skylar might just be the only ones in the hotel, Luke was just beginning to think of all the possibilities.

"Nice bed." Luke said, nodding to the one bed in the middle of the room. He was kind of confused, because usually hotel rooms had two beds, and not just one.

"It's big." Skylar added, and took a step closer to Luke. Luke awkwardly glanced around the room and gulped, realizing that it was actually a lot smaller than he had suspected, and Skylar was now close enough to him that he would hardly even have to reach out to touch her.

"I was thinking that we could go out tonight. You know, just for one last adventure before we catch a flight home?" Luke asked, hoping that Skylar would agree. Luke was happy that Skylar had actually left the airport and stuck to her world, because he could only imagine how bored she would be sitting in the same place for another few hours. After she told him the full story about her mom, Skylar seemed a lot more open to Luke's ideas of going out and having fun. He wasn't sure if it was because she was just able to get it off of her chest or because she realized that she couldn't live her life so worried about everything, but he liked it.

"I have nothing to wear." She said, glancing down at the floor.

"You have an extra pair of clothes in your bag!" Luke laughed, kicking the backpack, which was the only thing between them.

"Nothing to go out in. And besides, I'm going to wear those tomorrow." She shrugged.

"So is that a no?" Luke asked, licking his lips. Again, he wasn't trying for Skylar's attention, he was genuinely nervous.

"I don't know..."

"We'll go out and buy you something to wear. Come on, Sky, it's not even 4 o'clock yet." Luke pleaded with her, almost thinking about getting down on his knees and begging.

"Sure, why not?" Skylar smiled, giving Luke a small shrug.

He stood up straight again, happy that Skylar finally agreed with him. He was already practically jittering with excitement, eager to get the night started.

"That piece of hair is doing that thing again." Skylar said quietly after a minute, reaching up and trying to smooth out Luke's hair. He stepped over the backpack to get closer to her, almost closing the gap of space between them.

"Hey," Luke whispered, dipping his head down. "Can I kiss you?"

"Uh... No." Skylar finally said, drawing her hand back.

"Why not?" Luke asked, a confused expression now on his face. He hadn't expected Skylar to turn him down, and it wasn't just because no girl had ever turned him down before. It was because Luke really thought that Skylar liked him the same way he liked her, he thought she would want to kiss him.

"I'm just not very good at kissing, I guess?" Skylar said, almost as if it was a question.

"Wait," Luke started, raising an eyebrow. "Have you ever kissed anyone before?"

Luke assumed that Skylar was a virgin from the start, that was obvious to him, but he thought that she had been able to get around enough to kiss a few guys. Skylar was gorgeous, she could probably make any guy want her if she tried, or maybe even if she didn't try.