Chapter 11: The Lake

Gabby.

My two weeks of grounding are up in two days. This time I took it harder. I don't regret going to the party in the least; I had so much fun with Jax that it really was worth it.

But this has been six weeks now of being without my friends. I had one sleepover with them. Tonight they all drove into town and went to a music festival without me. I sit in bed and see Facebook posts from all three of them and I'm stuck.

I find my parents outside staining the deck. Once again, I find myself treading lightly. I know my dad is pissed that I was drinking again.

"I have a question..." I begin.

"No." My dad replies. "You are grounded you are not going out with friends."

He didn't even look up from the deck. My mom looks to him and back at me frowning. She lets me get away with a lot more. She grew up here, she knows what it's like. Dad grew up in much bigger town.

"That's not even what I was going to ask..."

"Well whatever it is, the answer is no."

"Gabby, ask your question." My mom tosses her brush down, settling her palms to her hips. She's about to start an argument and my dad knows it. He's already muttering beneath his breath.

"I'm tired of reading from the porch. May I please go to the dock? It's quiet there. All my friends are at the music festival in town. You can breathalyze me when I get home. It's been six weeks and I just need out of the house."

"Home by eight," she picks up her brush again.

"Vicky!" My dad's eyes dart up to her. "She's grounded!"

"For Christ's sake, Dan! She wants to go read a book! If that's the worst of our problems with her — I'm okay with that!"

I continue watching their argument. I guess I feel as if I should stick around and see who wins. I don't want to leave and get into more trouble.

"Gabby go read. If you come back and blow anything you're grounded for a month." My mom glares at me. The woman is literally going to battle for me right now.

"Thank you."

"Yep." She pops the P, letting me know I owe her.

As I hurry back inside I can hear their argument continuing. I grab my book, a blanket and a bottle of water before I rush out of the house and into the wooded area beside Lake Lux.

It's about a half mile walk through the brush to make it to the dock, but worth the walk. I know this pathway like the back of my hand. I've been coming to this dock since I was about seven. It took longer if you took the road by foot so I never did it unless I had my car.

I push through the last of the brush, pulling leaves and small twigs from my hair. Then I see him — a tattooed man sitting on my dock. And what is he doing, might you ask? He is reading.

I stare at Jax. He doesn't even know I'm here. His head is down, lost in the pages as his legs dangle over the water.

I honestly debate leaving. I know how I am when I'm engulfed in a book, but at the same time, I'm intrigued. I want to know what on Earth this man could possibly be reading at my dock.

"Alfie, you stole my spot!" I call out to him as I approach.

He looks up from the book with big eyes shaking his head at me. "This is not your spot. Finders keepers."

"Dude, it's claimed." I take the toe of my chucks and point it to the initials GB, among a few others, that are carved into the corner post of the dock. He glances at it and laughs.