Chapter 13: The Truth

Jax.

The clock reads 7:03AM. I got no sleep last night. Everything was running through my mind. I'm interested to see how Dan plans to make my life a living hell for not staying away from Gabby. I don't regret it, at least not yet, but he was definitely going to make me try to.

I'm thinking about how Gabby and I fooled around last night. I didn't think it would happen. She is not the same as the other girls. Her plan to drag this out, I almost like it. She's keeping me on my toes. Most of them sleep with me and it's done quickly. She plays. When she mentioned last night that we only had two more times, I almost felt disappointed that this is half way done. But I know there is a reason for my rule. They get clingy after four. No girl should have to put up with the shit that comes along with my life. I'm one violation away from an ankle bracelet, which I'm pretty sure Dan would love to make happen.

But mostly, I stayed awake worrying about her. Somehow every time I'm with Gabby, Tyler or his brother are there and both of them rub me the wrong way. Bar-boy looks at her like she's property, his property. But it's the way that she looks at Tyler that worries me the most. Last night, she was terrified and she didn't even have a reason why, other than the boy that deflowered her was creepy. By the time we were on that porch she was sweaty and shaking; it wasn't from the orgasm I had just given her.

So basically my entire night was focused on one thing, one girl, Gabby Brooks.

My first order of business today was going to be contacting the Department of Corrections to see if I could request a change in probational officers. I figure this is hopeless in this town, but I need to try. Dan is pissed, he has reason to be, but it should not affect my probation.

"Jax" Courtney knocks on my door.

I sigh and stare at my ceiling. Maybe if I pretend to sleep she will go away.

The knocking continues. "Jax, Gabby is here."

My stomach jolts at her name. I get out of my bed and open the door, seeing both girls standing in the hallway.

Gabby is still in her pajamas. Checkered white and purple shorts with a white T-shirt, her hair up in a ponytail and of course, a pair of light gray chucks.

Her face looks lifeless. She is not playful today. Her eyes look up to me.

"I want to know. I need to know what you did that is so terrible that he won't let you walk me home..."

I feel a knot form in my throat as my stomach twists in a displeasing way.

I never planned to tell Gabby. She was supposed to be a game, one that would piss off her asshole dad. I never planned on her becoming a friend, it wasn't supposed to go this long. Her dad is taking away everything because of me. Your senior year is supposed to be your best one yet.

My eyes leave Gabby to focus on Courtney. She uncomfortably looks at the floor in front of her, I can tell her mind is racing.

"Court..."

Courtney's eyes come to mine. She looks as though she wants to cry, and I don't want to push be over an edge where she does.

"It's up to you..." I shrug to her.

Gabby looks back and forth between my sister and me. She doesn't understand how much this impacts us both.