Chapter 34: The Date - Part I

Gabby.

The day is warm, almost humid.  Summer is here.  Town is becoming busier; the seasonal crowd has begun bringing their new boats and getting them docked at their summer cabins.  Bees buzz around the bright yellow tulips that surround around our porch.  Windows remain open, allowing the scent of the new season, the fragrance of the fresh flowers and the lake water to enter our home.  It's refreshing and it's my favorite part of my year.

My entire morning was spent preparing for graduation with my mom.  Cap and gown fittings, senior pictures, party invitations, returning text books, and a late lunch were nice distractions from my house arrest.  The Brooks have spent a bit too much time together in our home, everyone is snappy with each other.  Today Felix was working his part-time summer job one town over and Sydney was at softball practice.  There is one week left of my senior year and I couldn't be more ready for it to be over.

"Do we have to go home? Can't we just tell dad that we had to go grocery shopping or something?"

I roll down the window of my mom's Ford Escape to allow some of the fresh summer air in.  No way was I ready to go back home after experiencing a taste of freedom today.

"No we are going home.  Your dad needs your help with something and I have cookies to make for Sydney's bake sale."  Her voice is firm and unapologetic, telling me I have no choice in the matter.

My skin tingles as I begin snapping a rubber band on my wrist.  "So not only am I grounded for the summer, but now I'm dad's slave labor too?  What's he going to make me do?  Felix and Syd haven't had to do anything?"

She smacks my hand with annoyance to stop my snapping.  "Gabby you don't even know what he's going to have you do yet and you're already complaining.  You can help around the house.  Drop the attitude."

"Whatever." I mutter beneath my breath and continue snapping.  All of my focus returns to looking out the car window. 

Our drive back to Luxberg from lunch takes roughly a half hour; which, in my opinion, was not nearly long enough.  I'm not ready to be back in my prison shaped like an old Victorian.  As we pull up to the house I notice that the garage door is open.  Dad is in his usual position, hovered over the front of his Buick with the hood up.  His sleeves are rolled up with grease up his arms as he wrenches on some part that he is likely replacing. 

"Talk to dad before you start reading, got it? Like I said, he needs your help today."

My eyes roll, I don't even acknowledge her demand as I open the car door and walk directly to my dad.

"Mom says you need my help.  What chore will I be completing for you?"

He peers up from his task, stopping his wrenching and grabbing a rag to wipe his hands of the grease covering them. 

"I need two more hands with this.  Go change into something you can get dirty and wear closed toe shoes."

The corners of my lips tug upwards a bit, this was a task I honestly wasn't going to mind one bit.  I enjoyed time in the garage with my dad and it had been a really long time since I had done it. 

"I'll be right back."  I give him a nod and walk passed him towards the house.  I couldn't help but to notice a smile on his own face as I did so. 

The moment I enter the house I pull off my green Old Navy flip-flops and run the stairs to my room to change.  My entire body jumps when I open the door and see someone at my desk.  Not just any someone either.