Chapter 53: The Sleepover

Gabby.

One.  I had one request of my wedding party prior to my wedding.  That was a sleepover.  Silly?  Perhaps.  But this was likely the last time that this group would be together like this. 

Kane's best man is of course, Felix.  My maid of honor is Sydney.  Then we have Cole and Morgan walking together as a bridesmaid and groomsman.  Let me just tell you how excited those two are about this... they aren't. 

This group grew up together.  There were numerous sleepovers with all of us in this house.  The only person missing would be Tyler and the only part of the wedding festivities he's invited to are the rehearsal dinner and the ceremony.

There is nothing I'm looking forward to more (other than marrying Kane) during this trip than this sleepover.  It's everything a parent hates.  It's unsupervised (we threatened dad to leave us alone by stealing the extra set of keys to his Buick), it's coed, there will be drinking and there will be childish games that will hopefully result in Morgan and Cole having hot shameful sex somewhere in my basement.  This needs to happen.

Strawberries, kiwi, bananas, pineapple, grapes and oranges are set before me on the granite counter. I begin carefully slicing them and throwing them into a bowl to begin my mom's fruit salad. I'm fairly certain that for every piece of fruit I cut and toss into the bowl, the same amount is tossed into my mouth.  So good.

Strong arms wrap around my waist and Kane sets his chin on my shoulder. I pick up a piece of kiwi and hold it to his mouth, he happily takes his bite and chews.  "You know babe, the guys probably aren't going to eat fruit salad tonight.  Pizza, chips, beer.  That's all we need."

"I have a dress to fit into next week.  I will be eating fruit."

"You having a smoking body Gabby Brooks.  You have nothing to worry about.  Feel free to tell me more about this dress though..."

Damn he gives good complements. My dress is currently hidden at the Parker's house and it's driving him crazy that I haven't given him any clues. "Trust me handsome, the dress doesn't compare to what I bought for underneath it." He groans.

I giggle as little feet run into the kitchen. "GABBAY!!"

"Emmett my man!"

"Your man? I thought I was your man?" Kane jokes. "She's mine buddy!"

Emmett, my adorable ring bearer, will be having his own sleepover upstairs with Zo, the flower girl.

I wiggle my way out of Kane's arms and scoop up Emmett to tickle him. "Where's your daddy?"

"Wit-" giggles. "Fewix!" giggles.

"New goal. Felix will be known as Fewix for the rest of the night." Kane chuckles and pulls Emmett out of my arms to begin zooming him around the room like an airplane as his laughter continues.

Emmett is my second favorite little person.  He is mini-Cole.  Cole was made to be a dad.  When his wife abandoned him a week after she had Emmett, Cole was devastated but he totally stepped up and did what needed to be done for his son.  He credits his mad-dad skills on the fact that he and Morgan became parents the same day I did.  Which is definitely true.  The three of us learned quickly just how much it takes to be a parent.

"Hey! Need help?" Cole walks in and places a kiss on my cheek.

"Carry this downstairs?" I hand him the bowl of fruit.

"You got it, bridezilla."

"Whaaa?"  My mouth hangs open.  "I am not!"

Everyone just laughs at Cole's comment and doesn't back me up.  Fine.  Jerks.  I'll show them bridezilla.  I'm going to make them suffer during our drinking games tonight.  I pull open a cabinet barely out of reach and pull down every shot glass we own.