Chapter 21

"One of these days, you're going to have to come stay with me," I joked as Minnie and I sat at the table after the children had all run off to play. "So that it feels a tiny bit even."

Minnie laughed. "And who would run things around here with the both of us gone?"

"Well, maybe Levi and Annie will take over now," I said. "They're already taking on Oliver."

She chuckled. "And a good portion of the mischief along with him."

I smiled. Oliver was pretty rambunctious, but he was also awfully cute and very sweet. I expected my own grandchildren fairly soon, but Oliver made a wonderful adoptive grandson.

Minnie sighed and looked at me seriously. "Levi has done so much for me over the years, he's paid whatever debt you believe you owe me, several times over. I honestly don't think I'd have been able to do any of this without him. I doubt I'd have even been able to hold on to the house. And the house certainly wouldn't be what it is without all his work. I know he's your son, but I see him as mine too, and I couldn't ask for a better one. And that's a bigger, more meaningful gift than I could ever expect. So please stop feelin' like you owe me somethin'. You've already given me plenty."

How could I argue with that? Levi was an amazing gift to both of us.

"I'm happy to have you here any time, Abigail," she said. "Even if it was some kind of trial, I'd be glad to do it because I'm overjoyed for Levi and Annie."

"Thank goodness it worked out the way it did," I said. "There have been so many times when I felt helpless concerning Levi, but there's never been a time when I felt quite as useless as when I was watching him hurt over Annie."

A fairly terrifying confrontation - which had gotten Levi shot - had left Annie's husband dead. I knew it was terrible to be glad that anyone was dead, but I really couldn't help it. After everything he'd done to Annie, he could have killed Levi.

But thankfully now he was gone, and after several months of watching Levi attempt to deal with the fact that he could never have more than friendship with Annie, even though he obviously loved her, they were married. It was staggering to think about my little boy being a grown up man and getting married.

"It wasn't much easier watchin' Annie," Minnie said. "That poor girl has had to deal with so much already. I'm glad she has Levi. She couldn't find a better person to help her heal."

I nodded in agreement.

Minnie sighed and looked at the table.

"Well, Grandma, shall we get this table cleared?"

"Don't age me." I laughed. "Please!"

Minnie chuckled. "You know it's only a matter of time. Besides, I have a feeling Oliver is going to connect the dots and start callin' you grandma soon."

I smiled. "Well, that I won't mind, but it seems impossible that Levi is old enough to be a father. He was a little boy only days ago. I know he was!"

Minnie laughed. "Sure seems like it."

We pushed away from the table and began gathering up all the dishes. As we worked, I thought about how quickly it had all happened. Practically every time I blinked, Levi was another year older.

I tried not to dwell on how much I truly did miss out on when he was small since nothing would change it. I suppose when Annie did eventually have a baby, I'd get to experience a lot of what I missed with Levi. It wasn't quite the same, but it would still be a wonderful gift. And if that child was anything like his or her father, it would be hard to feel bitter about anything at all.