Chapter 23

"Miss Abi... I mean Grandma," Oliver said, coming in through the kitchen door. "Is that for tonight?"

I laughed at his excitement as he looked at the cake I'd just pulled from the oven.

"Yes, it is," I said. "A little surprise for everyone. Would you like to help me put the frosting on when it's cooled?"

He nodded happily and I smiled down on him. He wasn't Levi's son, but in some ways he was so much like him. Levi had been just as eager to help with things like this. Thankfully, Oliver wasn't quite as clumsy as Levi had been, and I was much better at dealing with little boys in my kitchen.

"When Levi and Annie get back-" I stopped, hearing the horses out front. "Oh, they're here already," I said. "Why don't you set the table?"

"Alright," he said, going to do as I asked.

Picking up the spoon, I stirred the soup and Oliver was just getting the bowls down as Annie came in through the door.

"You've already done everything, haven't you?" she said with disapproval, glancing at the covered chicken on the stove.

I laughed. "I'm afraid so. You know I can't sit around and do nothing when there's work to be done."

She smiled and shook her head. "I suppose it's a good thing. Levi and I brought a few guests with us. It's probably best that supper will be ready sooner."

"Oh, that's nice," I said, setting the spoon down and picking up a vase I'd planned to put out with some flowers. "Anyone I know?" I moved to leave the kitchen and Annie followed.

"No, they're not from here," she said.

Once we were in the other room, a girl, about fourteen or fifteen came to stand in front of us.

"Abigail, this is Eleanor," Annie said. "Her father is helping Levi unload the wagon.

"Hello." I smiled at the girl, noting something familiar about her. It was strange. I'd never seen her...but there was something... I couldn't pinpoint it.

"Hello." Eleanor smiled happily back. "You have a beautiful home. I simply love all the flowers."

"Thank you," I said, struck by a stronger sense of familiarity, seeing her smile. I was trying to puzzle it out when Annie indicated that the girl's father had joined us.

"And this is Christopher," she said.

"What?" Startled, I looked at Annie.

Christopher! That's who I saw in this girl's face!

But it couldn't be.

"I didn't catch your last name," Levi said, not sounding too friendly.

I knew what it would be even before I turned to look at him.

"It's James," he said as I turned my gaze on him.

I gasped and stared at him with wide eyes.

"Really?" Annie asked. "That's funny. Our-"

She was cut off when the vase fell from my hand and crashed to the floor in a hundred pieces.

I could feel everyone's eyes on me, but I couldn't tear mine away from him. Christopher! After almost thirty years, he was standing in my house! And I couldn't move or speak. I was so stunned.

"Alright." Levi sounded angry. "I think it's time you left."

He went over to usher Christopher out, no doubt assuming that he was one of my former customers. Levi had just grabbed his arm when I found my voice.