2. The Not-Being-Annoying-Rules

[ edited 2nd Dec 2015 ]

How could one day be filled with so many ups and downs?

First, I ran into the jerk who ploughed me over, broke my phone and disappeared without bothering to repair said phone. Then I met a sweet old lady who gave me her first class seat and now I'd just walked in on Sir Jerk-A-Lot making a nuisance of himself -again- in the same flight I was boarding on the way to Los Angeles. Can my day get any worse?

"I don't want anyone seating next to me," he said to the flight attendant, his shades still covering his eyes. Two flight attendants were attending to him.

Why was he covering his eyes? Did he have an infection?

"Sorry sir, but the flight's full and the seat's been booked," the flight attendant replied with a hopeful smile on her face.

"I don't want anyone seating next to me. I don't want to be disturbed during the flight over and I need to catch up on some work. A person sitting next to me will be such a distraction and I don't need that."

"But-"

"I can pay for both seats."

"But-"

"Fine, I'll pay double for the seat." He began to reach for something, and since he was reaching for the back of his jeans I concluded it to be his wallet.

Ignorant, spoiled, privileged over-spending ass! The jerk was not giving up! Who did he think he was, having two seats to himself? I felt a rush of sympathy for his neighbor.

Just then Max, the attendant helping me, came back. "Lucky you," he commented again for the third time since he heard about the dilemma. "From economy to first class eh?" He smiled, making himself looked cuter than when he didn't smile. "Now let's see," he looks over Mrs Laurent's ticket, now mine. "Hmmm... Seat 3B."

He heads over to the seat and stopped directly beside the attendant still in an argument with Sir Jerks-A-Lot.

"Lily," Max addressed one of the attendants, the one Sir Jerks-A-Lot had been addressing, "Can you move over a smidgen, the passenger's here?" Okay, Max was certainly gay. What straight guy says smidgen? Just then what he said hits me.

My day just a got a whole lot worse.

"Ma'am," Max called me over. "Found your seat." He nodded towards the aisle seat next to Sir Jerk-A-Lot, with a suggestive smile.

I am supposed to be sitting next to Sir Jerks-A-Lot?

I sauntered over like a lamb to slaughter, hoping that Sir Jerks-A-Lot didn't recognize me. Of course, that was too much to ask for.

"You?" was the first word out of his big mouth.

I was quite proud of myself, leaving him speechless. Well, one word was speechless when dealing with him considering that he tended to talk on and on and on.

"Yes, it's me jerk-face," I offered a scowl. "Looks like we're stuck together." I stuffed my carry-on into the overhead compartment and sat down in the luxurious armchair of a seat. It could definitely fit two adults or three children.

My muscles sighed in relief as the smooth leather seat soothed my tired muscles from the hectic start to my morning. Thanks Mrs Laurent, I thought as I smiled at the memory of the old woman.

"First time in first-class, I presume?" Sir Jerks-A-Lot said. Looks like he was up for meager chatter.

I turned my face slightly to him, staring into the dark shades he was wearing and wondering why in good heavens he was wearing them... inside the plane. I shoot a curt nod his way before turning straight ahead and shutting the world out.