Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Layton looked like a deer caught in headlights as he stared between Levi and me. Although he barely paid a glance at Levi, it was me that he was mostly staring at.

"Well?" I snapped, crossing my arms. I was slightly surprised to feel the smoothness of my skin but managed to keep my angry expression on.

"Are you thirsty?" he asked, completely taking me aback at how fast he chose to change the subject. But now that he mentioned it, I was sort of thirsty.

But not for water.

"Um...sure?" I answered, giving him a suspicious look. He grinned back before retreating off into the kitchen. "It better not be spiked!" I shouted after him, but not moving from my spot.

I looked back at Levi and saw how awkwardly he was just leaning against the doorway that led to another room. Now could be my chance to ask him. "What's going on?" I asked, keeping a sturdy grip on the staircase.

He was about to answer but I interrupted him. "Look, just take me back home," I said, not caring how desperate or pathetic I sounded. I most likely sounded like a five-year old who got kidnapped but instead I was a seventeen year old who got kidnapped.

So the situation wasn't that different.

He mumbled something under his breath and I could barely make out the words. "Come again?" I asked, taking two steps down to listen better.

"I can't do that..." he mumbled a little bit louder.

He can't possibly mean that, right?

Before I could shout at him, Layton came out of the kitchen with a glass and handed it to me. I looked inside and saw that the contents of the glass looked like cranberry juice, but thicker. It also looked familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

"What's this?" I asked, smelling the cup. It smelled absolutely wonderful and every nerve in my body was aching for me to drink it, but I was still cautious enough, especially around these guys, so I didn't put a sip in my mouth.

"It's juice," Layton replied, watching me carefully. I avoided his gaze worried about what I would do if I stared into his beautiful ocean eyes and continued staring at the liquid in wonder.

What is it?

"Are you gonna drink it?" Levi asked, sounding really impatient.

Since it was obvious that I wouldn't be allowed to move anywhere without drinking this, I leaned my head back and chugged down the entire glass in one gulp. My expression twisted and I placed the glass in Layton's waiting hand. "Eew that tastes nasty," I complained, wiping the side of my mouth. The taste of that particular juice was like bitter water with too much lemon juice.

Layton and Levi nodded thoughtfully. "There's different flavors of this...kind of juice, so maybe this just isn't your flavor," Levi told me, going inside the kitchen. Layton motioned for me to follow Levi and I quickly ran down since I was scared of what he would do if I didn't listen to him.

I watched enough crime movies, I know to do whatever it takes to keep myself alive long enough to make an escape. The question is, when can I make an escape? 

Maybe I can find a way to leave later tonight, like an open window in an unused room and a route leading to a city or town. Until then, I have to make sure these two don't suspect a thing.

"What flavor was that?" I asked, gazing around in awe at their kitchen. I knew there was no way I was ever going to get used to seeing how classy and expensive every room in this house is. Whatever these guys did for a living sure paid them a ton of money.