Four

When I was twelve, the agency found a new boy. The boy was the same age as me, twelve-year-old.

I was no longer the youngest agent. Now, there was Brandon.

Brandon Haynes.

One of the best male agent the agency ever had. Also the most annoying, arrogant brat I've ever known at the age of twelve. But we trained together. We did everything together.

He protected me. I protected him.

At the age of sixteen, we fell in love secretly, slowly, although we shouldn't. We tried to hide our feelings but it didn't work out so well. Both being two stubborn teenagers, Garry couldn't stop us. He chose not to say a thing, even if our feelings for each other were so obvious.

Everything was great. We loved each other and we were a great team. It was Sophia and Brandon. The two inseparable partners.

And then, at the age of eighteen, everything fell apart.

My boyfriend, my partner, died right in front of me.

I was left alone with my guilt, a broken heart, and... nothing. I was empty.

And now, four years later, it seems that he's not dead.

He's breathing, standing right there in front of us, and he's not alone.

Everyone stays silent. Somehow, I think they're all waiting for me to talk. But I can't. For the first time in years, I'm afraid of what can happen if I open my mouth to talk.

He is alive. Alive.

Alive.

I feel my hands shaking and I cross my arms, keeping my stare on the floor. We're back at the agency and the silence is killing me.

Oh, the irony. What a bitch.

I take a deep breath. I suppose nobody will talk if I do.

Keep control. You're strong, this is gonna be fine.

"This isn't possible," I mutter, my voice so different than usual. "I saw you died. People don't come back from death."

I don't look up so I can't tell if anyone is looking at me.

If he is looking at you. You don't give a shit about the others. Your boyfriend is alive.

Ex-boyfriend, stupid inner voice.

"How is that even possible?" I shake my head, closing my eyes.

I'm not even sure if I want the answer. This is crazy.

My hands shake again. Shit. I can feel everyone's eyes on me now. But the only pair of eyes that matter is his.

"Sophia..."

Brandon said that.

I stiffen, finally opening my eyes to look at him. His blue eyes meet mine and my whole body is in shock. I can't move.

Fuck, I'm looking at a dead person.

But he isn't dead. Surprise!

I glare at him. "Please don't. Don't... say my name. Just—no."

I turn around to regain control, taking deep breaths. Looking at him hurts.

I did not expect this. That's not how I expected my night to go.

"That's a... miracle," Garry finally talks, and I breathe in relief. "I would like to know what happened, Brandon."

"Fine, but what's going on? Who is he?" Andrew asks in a bored tone and I slowly turn my head to look at him.