Thirty

I wake up in Brandon's arms.

Taking a deep breath, I stay still for a moment, not wanting to move. But I should. I have to. Especially when I remember what's happening today.

We're going to see the Master.

The man that tried to kill Brandon in my apartment told us where we can find him tonight, but nothing else. No names or more information. We can just trust the information we found ourselves and what we think is correct, like his name. Matthew King.

It's not like I really care, at this point. All I want is to see him. To talk to him, and to understand what the fuck is going on. What does he want from me?

Why me?

I sigh softly and gently raise Brandon's arm around my waist to attempt getting out of bed. I turn my head to look at him. He looks peaceful right now. His hair is tousled, his eyes are closed but his full lips are partly open, and I find myself glancing at his mouth.

Shaking my head, I look away. I need to get ready before he wakes up.

I start to walk towards the door. I come to a halt when I notice my jumpsuit and heels from last night. After grabbing everything, I turn around again and make my way towards the door.

"Where are you going?" Brandon's husky voice stops me, and I slowly turn my head to see his sleepy eyes on me.

That voice in the morning gives me chills, which is wrong. Everything is wrong.

That kiss we shared. Me sleeping in his arms.

"Sophia?" I blink when he speaks again, and I watch as he stretches, letting out a small groan before he stands up.

That's when I realize he's half-naked. I'm still wearing his t-shirt and nothing else. It shouldn't be something I notice and be all nervous about. It's just Brandon, goddammit. I've seen him shirtless before. He's seen me—

"Hey, you okay?" Brandon is standing just in front of me now, frowning. I shake my head to clear my thoughts.

"Yeah," I lie, glancing up at him. "Are you?"

He runs a hand through his hair, letting out a long breath. "Yeah."

I nod. "Okay. Good. Are you still on for tonight?"

He slowly nods in return, staring at me. "Of course. Why wouldn't I?" He pauses. "You're my partner. I'm not letting you go there by yourself. Especially not when you're in danger."

"Yeah... the Bird needs to be protected, unfortunately," I mutter, shaking my head.

I don't need protection. But the Bird does... and I am it.

"Don't you have an idea about who the Master might be?" Brandon asks, crossing his arms over his bare chest. "If you're the Bird, he might be someone you know."

I sigh. "I have a lot of enemies. I've met so many people over the past few years. It could be anybody."

He nods. "Good thing we're seeing him tonight, then."