Thirty-five

I think I lost consciousness.

I lick my dry lips and slowly open my eyes. For some reasons, my head feels heavy. One look around me and I remember everything. I remember where I am.

My eyes close on their own and I strain against the zip-ties around my wrists. Not a prisoner, my ass. Tying me to a chair is not how it's gonna work.

"She's awake."

I stop moving.

Slow footsteps make their way towards me, and my heart beats in synchro. If only I could reach for my necklace or the knife in my waistband.

"I didn't expect you to be so surprised to see your father."

I flinch. I raise my head and finally stare at the man who destroyed my life.

Stephen Matthew Kingston.

Matthew King. I should have known.

Brown hair that's starting to turn gray. Dark eyes, watching me with mockery. A small smile on his lips. My worst nightmare.

He could have been a good father. My father. Instead, he chose otherwise.

He's wearing a dark red suit and a lot of gold rings, making me purse my lips in disgust. He thinks so highly of himself.

I narrow my eyes in a cold glare. I make sure that my voice stays steady.

"You're not my father," I declare, tightening my fists.

The Master tilts his head to the side, furrowing his eyebrows. "Is that true? We share the same blood."

"That's probably the only thing we'll ever share," I reply, raising my chin up. Looking at him makes me want to throw up, but I can't show him any sign of fear.

Because he is probably the only person I fear. I know what he's capable of, after what he's done to my mother right in front of my eyes.

He's ruthless.

"You also kill people for a living," he continues, sitting on the couch across from me. Crossing his legs, he smiles. "That makes two things in common."

This makes me regret everything I've ever done. However, I don't show him my reaction. I keep looking in front of me and take a small breath.

"The only person I'm gonna kill right now is you," I mutter.

"That would be tragic. Losing both your parents."

I lose it. "How dare you?!" I scream, turning my head so fast I almost hurt my neck. I try to move my feet, my wrists, but everything's tied and I start panicking.

Deep breaths. Stay calm. You just gave him what he wanted.

Matthew King stands up and walks the small distance between us before kneeling in front of me. Seeing him so close, my eyes meeting his, is when I really realize that all of this is real.

"Finally, she's here," he murmurs, smiling. "The Sophia I know."

"You don't know me," I spit. Literally. Let's see if I find the father I know.

Closing his eyes, a few seconds pass without any reaction from him. Then, he slowly raises his hand to wipe the saliva from his face.

Kill me. Do it.

He opens his eyes. A vein pops up on his forehead. He stands up again and takes a few steps back.

I can't tell if he's controlling himself or unaffected. His lips form a smile again, and I grit my teeth.