Fifteen

I UPDATED CHAPTER FOURTEEN BEFORE AS WELL. Make sure to read it first. ;)

Brandon and I don't move from our position

Brandon and I don't move from our position. We stay still, listening to the conversation going on. I try not to look too many times, afraid of getting caught. Now that I know I was right, that this USB key has something to do with The Bird Mission, I need to know more.

I look at the men again. When the man we followed here turns his head in our direction, I quickly back away, taking a deep breath. But I saw his face.

"It's him," I murmur, turning to look at Brandon. "The man at the reunion, that night. With the scar on the face. The one who shot that other man because he talked wrong about The Circle."

Brandon frowns. "Are you sure?"

I nod, glancing carefully at him.

"It's Charles Barton," I whisper.

But who he is, in all of this, is still a mystery. For now, the only thing I'm sure of is that he works pretty close with whoever the Master is.

"The Bird is a danger for us, right now. When will he realize it?" one of the men declares, anger in his voice.

"He already knows that," Charles Barton replies, his tone and his posture reminding them that he has the authority, right now.

"He wants us to keep things as they are. They will eventually fall into the trap," he adds, and the men start to laugh.

I glance at Brandon. He must feel the same way because he nods his head.

I'm 98% sure to know who they're talking about.

Brandon's hand finds mine. I almost retract my hand as if he's burned me, but I see his serious expression and understand. He wants us to leave before they notice us.

I want to listen for more. There is more. But I think we got enough information. I got enough to finally understand.

Nodding, I follow him as we make our way to the car.

*

"I knew it. Everything is... connected," I declare, glancing at Mr. Neil. "There's a bunch of people working for the same person... or the same organization. That night, on The USB Key Mission, the man was talking on the phone with someone... and he said the word Master. I wasn't sure at first, but..."

I pause, shaking my head. They're all listening to me intensely, and Mr. Neil has his eyebrows furrowed, a thoughtful expression on his face.

Turning to look at the board, I cross my arms. "I think The Circle is the organization. The Master is the one who leads it. And the Bird... I don't know yet."

I look at Mr. Neil again.

"With this list, we can find out what's going on. Who these people are and what they are planning."