Fourteen

The mission was a total fail.

Nothing big happened, tonight. We come back with nothing new. Nothing connected with the word Bird, Master, or Circle.

I don't know if Mr. Neil or the North Agency still think about that when we go on missions. But I do. I know there's more to The Bird Mission we did that night. That's how we decided to name it. After each important mission, we always name them.

Since we have this mysterious list of names, Mr. Neil sent Andrew and I on a new mission tonight to try and find something that could help us understand what this list is about. Brandon was still recovering from his injuries, and Nova, being the sweetest girlfriend, chose to stay with him.

When we enter the room, Mr. Neil turns around and Brandon stands up from his seat behind the table. Nova is nowhere to be found.

"So?" Mr. Neil asks us as I take off my jacket with a sigh.

"Nothing. Jack Smith is a very boring man." I shake my head and walk over to the list we printed. I grab a pen and scratch his name.

Crossing my arms, I lean against the table and glance up at them.

"How is that possible? I mean, if this list is very important, why don't we find anything? Nothing happened tonight." I frown, shaking my head. "This is odd."

"I don't know if it's a good or bad thing," Brandon declares, his own eyebrows furrowed.

Mr. Neil stays quiet a moment before he nods. "Let's try again tomorrow with another name. Brandon, would you be able to go on a mission?"

"Sure. I was already fine. I could have gone with them, tonight," he says, crossing his arms.

His eyes meet mine and I look away. Since what happened, I can't look him in the eyes, remembering that he knows that I'm up to something.

I still can't believe that what happened to him is somehow my fault.

Again. Luckily, he didn't die. How would you have reacted, Sophia?

I clench my fists and look at Mr. Neil.

"Right. Tomorrow. I'll stay at the agency for the night. If you excuse me, I need a shower," I say, turning to leave the room.

"Great work tonight, Agent Montgomery," Garry declares in my back and I glance at him over my shoulder.

"It's not like I've done anything." I shrug but give him a small smile nonetheless before I walk away.

*

"Ready?"

"Ready?"

I turn my head to look at Brandon. When I realize he was talking to me, I take a deep breath. Now I remember why this felt familiar, that night at the Masquerade Ball with Andrew.