Thirteen

11:47 PM.

I come back to the agency, exhausted and furious that I barely got nothing new.

No new pieces of information, no new clues.

Nothing about my father.

Every time I think I'm getting closer to this coward, it seems like he just... disappears.

I know he's alive. If Mr. Neil or somebody else knew about that personal mission I have and promised myself to fulfill, they would probably be disappointed. But I don't care.

I need to find him.

This isn't just about revenge. This is something that I feel like I need to do.

My mother didn't deserve to die.

And I didn't deserve to lose her.

The North Agency is quiet as I walk through the hall and turn a few corridors. However, it's not long until I hear something.

I frown, following the sounds. I hear voices and exclamations, all filled with panic and... surprise. A bad feeling makes its way inside my stomach and my slow steps become quick ones until I'm running.

My steps come to a stop when I reach the source of the panic. My eyes wander around the room, noticing the few agents all standing around something. Or somebody.

I see Mr. Neil, too. And when my eyes land on the back of the head of a certain someone that I'm quite familiar with, my heart skips a beat.

Something tightens painfully inside my chest. I almost stumble when I take a few steps forward. I don't know why. It's like I'm back to four years ago and nothing has changed.

I act before I can think properly.

"Brandon?" I murmur slowly, not even bothered by the fear and confusion that anyone can clearly hear in my voice.

I don't give a fuck right now. And it scares me.

Some agents step back, glancing at me. Mr. Neil looks up. Brandon doesn't turn his head towards me, but his shoulders tense slightly. I make my way towards him and step around the table he's leaning against, his arms limp at his side.

"What the—"

My eyes widen in shock. Brandon's face is covered in blood and bruises, his lip cut. I wouldn't be surprised if his nose is broken.

He looks down as if it's too painful to even move his head up towards me. I take a step forward without realizing it.

"Jesus, Brandon! What happened?" I question, carefully placing a hand under his chin to see his face more properly.

His own hand raises and closes around my wrist gently. I go still, not knowing if I should step away or keep my hand there.

Step away. What the hell are you doing? You don't care.

I ignore my inner voice. I know I'm probably stupid to even do that, but this is different.

Something happened, and my intuitions tell me that I should know what.

He clearly got beaten up. The question is by who? And why?

Brandon clears his throat, but his voice still ends up being hoarse.

"It's nothing. Just got beaten by—" He pauses, wincing. He releases my hand slowly. "Somebody."

"Who?" I ask coldly, my fists clenched to my side.

"Brandon doesn't know yet," Mr. Neil answers for me and I turn my head towards him. "For now, you need to go to the infirmary. Right now," he orders to him, but his voice stays soft.