Thirty-four

I don't know how long I'll be gone.

Opening my dresser, I grab a pair of leggings and keep Brandon's t-shirt on. My eyes fall on a familiar piece of clothing and my hand reaches for it.

Brandon's hoodie.

I'm such a damn liar. I've never ended up burning that hoodie. Before I can question myself more, I put it on.

Now for the weapons options.

I can't risk going there without being armed, but if they figure it out, they'll disarm me anyway. I hide a knife in my waistband and pick up my small pocket knife disguised as a necklace that I put on.

I'll just improvise from here, I guess.

I close my eyes and shake my head. I should think this through, but I don't have time. Not anymore. I need to end this today, no matter what.

I know what I'm fighting for. I'm fighting for the truth, for freedom, for love. This isn't a mission I do for the agency. This is a mission I do for myself and for all the women that suffered by my fault because they somewhat looked like me.

I'm the Bird and I am caged. It's time I escape and show them who they're messing with.

*

8:10 AM.

The hood hides my face pretty well, but I don't think anyone notices me. It's still early and the only agents I walk past by are too busy to take a good look at me.

At the end of the next intersection, I halt and lean against the wall. My eyes narrow at the camera on the far corner. Carefully, I turn and continue my way out of the agency.

I walk past by the computers room and my heart skips a beat when I notice Brandon talking to another agent. I quickly move away before he can see me. If he sees me, he'll stop me.

I start walking again, faster this time. I'm almost there. So close to the exit.

Turning the next corner, a shoulder bumps into mine. Gritting my teeth, I keep walking, but a hand grabs my arm.

"Hey." I recognize that voice. Britt. She sounds pissed. "What are you—"

I turn around. Her voice falters when she recognizes me. She drops my arm and takes a step back.

"Soph? What are you doing?"

I flip the hood off of my head and take a careful look around me. "Nothing."

She crosses her arms and raises a perfect eyebrow. Her dark eyes are dead serious. "I'm not stupid. Tell me what you're doing."

I don't need to explain to her. A few seconds are needed for her to understand. Britt shakes her head and curses under her breath. I take a step towards her. "Britt..."

"I'm gonna regret this," she mutters, taking a look behind her. "Okay, fine. But I'm keeping an eye on you, whether you want it or not."

She drags me into a small room, and I take quick glances over my shoulder. I'm wasting precious time. If Mr. Neil or Brandon see me, they won't let me go. I don't know about Andrew, though.