5: Run

The ensuing storm silenced Grey's footsteps

It began as a drizzle and crescendoed into a pour that clouded all other noise besides her wispy breaths. She jogged down a residential street, doing her best in her heeled shoes. By loosening the ankle straps she'd lose time, lose distance between her and that person stalking her only a block behind. Luca maintained pace at her side, every now and then checking behind for a silhouette.

The wet streets were empty, dark apartment buildings passing by at their sides. Dim streetlights marked a clear path to the next street, but she couldn't run straight forever. The chase would never end. Staying under the lamplight proved useless too unless someone were to actually look outside their window and call for help.

Water coated her foot as she splashed through a puddle, the drops reaching her knees. An uneven piece of sidewalk followed, her ankle almost rolling out of place. There wasn't a choice. She had to stop. 

Grey kept her voice low. "Luca, wait."

The cat paused, shaking water from her black coat and watching Grey kneel to undo the straps. Her green orbs glowed in the dark like two lightbulbs. The girl wiggled one shoe off and started the next one. She didn't know how close he was, the phantom caress of claws around her neck making hot tears well in her eyelids. She needed to hurry. If she wasn't careful...

The second shoe slipped from her foot. 

Hope blossomed in her chest as her legs stretched into a sprint, bare feet slapping against pavement. Luca positioned herself ahead, running with an intensity Grey had never seen. 

The kitten barreled forward, taking a sharp right turn before a busy intersection. Grey was confused, but followed suit, slowing just a little when she realized how dark it had become. Pale rays from the moon helped her see more than an arm's distance away, stars giving her a bit more distance than that. Luca's bell acted as a navigator.

Knots tensed in Grey's shoulders, physical discomfort raking down her body for a brief second. Instinctively, she checked the mouth of the alley. A dark man jogged through the entrance. She was going to be sick.

The bell came to an abrupt stop.

"Luca?"

Grey squinted through the dark, worry piercing the few shreds of clear thinking she had left. It subsided a bit when she discovered four slick, white paws staying still in the rain. Except, the figure striding towards their place did not slow and they were not progressing.

Her voice broke. "What's wrong, girl? We have to go!"

Grey lunged forward, meeting an iron fence to the cheek instead of space. Her hands slid down the sides of the gate, the bottom, the top. To her left and right, two lengthier walls boxed her and the kitten in.