51: My Gift To You

When Solis snapped his fingers, purple embers sprinkled to the floor in three separate piles

When Solis snapped his fingers, purple embers sprinkled to the floor in three separate piles. A trio of swaying silhouettes formed from those sparks, the flames licking and overlapping to form curves, slender arms, lengthened legs. The hellfire's crackling mocked human laughter even if these women of flame did not have faces. Solis leaned back in his red velvet armchair as they ran hands against his shirt, across his cheeks, down his pantleg.

"All I'm missing is music," Solis sighed. He enjoyed a deep breath of air, admiring the spacious stage, the unlit bulbs that encircled the stage's perimeter like a vanity mirror. Though it reeked of faded cigarette smoke and spilled alcohol, the scent of soot and wildfire smoke almost concealed the stench.

"This nightclub gives me nostalgia." Solis grabbed the glass on the small table before him, downing his shot of whiskey. He slammed it back onto the table, the glass shattering. "I forget who I killed here... I think she was a dancer from the cabaret? Maybe another man's wife? It doesn't matter. Anyway, her screams were the loudest I had ever heard."

Solis leaned forward as one of the fire ladies tugged on his collar. Snickering from a partially drunk stupor, the First King narrowed his eyes. "Now, now. You're a rambunctious one. Why don't you dance for our Prince?"

The woman flared brighter--her way of saying yes. Two legs of flame strut towards Seokjin's armchair. Seokjin cut his eyes at Rowan's plaything.

"Is this what you do?" Jin watched the woman approach. "Fantasize about what you can't acquire naturally?"

Rowan said, "Oh, I've had my fill of flesh."

Seokjin scowled, flippantly waving his hand. A tidal wave of shadow doused the purple flame, the sizzling of black ice crashing with fire loud enough to echo to the ceiling.

"I'm not interested."

"What are you interested in?" Rowan crossed one leg over another. He snapped his fingers, the two remaining women falling apart like sandcastles.

Jin said, "Being busy. Not lounging around foreclosed businesses like rats."

"Fine, fine. All work and no play. What are you so eager to do?"

"Help me find a body for Aelith. If you plan to attack Anaphiel, you will need a general to handle the troops while you lead personal assaults."

Rowan laughed. "Is it so obvious that I wish to bash all of their heads in?"

"You've waited for a thousand years. I can't imagine you doing anything different."

The King nodded. "Tonight, I will scope out Versailles. You can go wherever you like. Though, you must have some confidence in Aelith if you're looking for a body."

Seokjin rolled his eyes.
:::

It was Amelia's first time wearing all black. She and Vanity sat at a wrought iron table outside a quaint coffee shop soon to close for the night. She felt like she blended into the darkness. Like if she stepped into an alley, she could probably do some super crazy James Bond shit. Live the super spy fantasy she always had.