50: We Are All Wolves

Yoongi manifested at Jin's back, his silver blade slick with black blood yet angled at Jin's throat

Yoongi manifested at Jin's back, his silver blade slick with black blood yet angled at Jin's throat. His second dagger pressed between Jin's shoulder blades.

"Release her."

Jin's thumb grazed over the skin of Grey's neck, but he did not do as Yoongi asked. "We are still brothers, Yoongi."

Yoongi scowled, purposely drawing a droplet of dark liquid from Jin's neck. It was dark red. The color of wine blended with ink. Grey watched as it crawled from his wound to his collar. Nearly the same color as hers. He said, "I am a brother willing to put you out of your misery."

"Yoongi, please." Grey held Jin's gaze and let both of her hands wrap around his. The Dark angel flicked his eyes towards her gentle grasp. "Let him go."

"I can't do that, Grey," Yoongi said.

"Listen to her," urged another voice by the door. Grey couldn't turn, but a wave of relief shuddered down her spine at Jungkook's voice.

Jin closed his eyes as Yoongi poked the dagger into his back. "Kill me, Yoongi."

"Let. Him. Go," Grey repeated. Her stormy eyes slid to Yoongi's.

"I dare you to cause her any harm," the Wraith whispered. "I will end your life one thousand times." He withdrew his dagger from Jin's back, and as he pulled away from Jin's neck, he slanted the edge so that it dug deeper. Blood streaked Jin's skin. Then, he turned to mist and ash.

"Jungkook," Grey said. "Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"Please leave," she said. Jin's lifeless eyes rose to Jungkook's over Grey's shoulder. Triumph lied there, a silent song from man to man.

"I will be right outside the door," Jungkook said. The door to the box closed. The orchestra and opera raged against the walls and floor and ceiling in a crashing sea that held both Grey and Jin on different sides of the shore. Two strangers, spread apart by elements they could neither see nor understand, but feel. To the point that when the song was over, when the rocking and rolling ceased, they truly would not recognize one another.

Grey removed Seokjin's hand from her neck, and she rested it on her chest--above her heart.

"Why would you do that?" He asked.

She said, "I can't allow you to die this way."

"I told you to stay away from me."

"I can't." She shook her head slowly, ignoring the resounding fear that clattered through her chest. Something about this moment was terrifying. Just as frightening as it was when she saw him in her bridal suite. "Again, you had a chance to kill me." She said, "and you didn't."

His hand turned into a fist, but it stayed on her bodice. "You need to leave."

"Meet me at the Eiffel Tower. The second floor. Tomorrow night."