7: Namjoon

Nico adjusted the lapels of his blazer and approached the executive assistant's office

Nico adjusted the lapels of his blazer and approached the executive assistant's office. The young lady sitting at the modern desk flashed him a graceful smile, light brown hair settling over her shoulders as she visibly sat straighter. Her newfound, bright expression pained him. But, he was glad that she at last found the strength to make such a notion.

"Hello, sir. Do you have an appointment with Mr. Kim this afternoon?"

He surveyed the pearls at her neck, then her shimmering eyes. Does she even recall where she got those from? Who gave those to her? Uncomfortably, Nico shoved his hands in his pockets and leaned forward almost imperceptibly. Nudging the dark energy lying dormant in his veins, he widened his eyes a tad and said, "Let me into his office, Rin."

Though her doll-like features scrunched in concern, she rose from the seat and strode towards Seokjin's main office. One tug from her thin arms, and the door opened just a crack. He slipped in, gifting her with a kind smile even though his compulsion wrapped around her dainty neck like an invisible snake. Besides, it wasn't like he enjoyed restricting other's free will so why not be polite while doing it?

"Thank you," he whispered. "Sit at your desk, and forget I came."

She nodded slowly like a child hypnotized by a magic trick. The door's heavy thud behind him echoed off the walls as he took a deep breath. He promised himself to hold his temper at bay, but staring at the back of Seokjin's head now assured him that it wouldn't be easy.

Before he took a step forward, Nico held his hand up and raised his voice. "Jungkook, I know you are in here. Show yourself."

His rigid silhouette may have fooled a human, but it would not pass Nico's detection. And true to his bet, the corner of the room with the least sunlight rippled as the young man stepped into the light. Jungkook clenched his jaw and leaned against a series of bookshelves.

Jin sighed. "Was it worth it? The hunt?"

"You sent her away," Nico seethed.

"I gave her mercy."

Nico chided himself to stay calm while his blood boiled. "Does that help you sleep at night? That you gave her to the demons so that they did not have to come and collect her from you?"

Jin shifted from the window, glaring daggers at his precious friend. If looks could kill, Nico thought. "I lose no sleep over the death of a human."

"That is why you send Jungkook to get rid of the ones he can find every night, yes? Because you have no empathy for the terrorized mortals they follow?"

Jin rolled his eyes, murderous anger radiating from him like sun rays. Nico ignored him. He said, "Seokjin, you have fought the darkness for this long. Why are you giving in now?"

His pale fist slammed into his desk. "There is only a matter of months, Nico. It's over and you can't see it!"

Nico sent a glance sidelong at Jungkook, who kept his attention on the floor. He didn't need to ask to know the young man listened to their exchange, added his own logic, weighed in internally. And in truth, all Nico could do was plant the seed in their heads. For one last time, give them the idea and watch it grow from a distance.