37: What Blossoms in the Dark

A fit of rustling and gasping erupted behind Grey

Her best friend woke up at the base of the tree, swallowing air. As though she had resurfaced from being underwater, she coughed and keeled over. Grey scurried to her side, patting her on the back as her sobs howled throughout the cage.

"It's okay," Grey said, hugging her. "It's okay. You're with me."

Amelia screamed, thrashing out of the girl's grip. "Get off of me!"

Grey put her arms up defensively, keeping her distance as Amelia scooted to the edge of the bars. A guttural snarl slithered from the darkness directly behind her. Squealing, Amelia threw herself from the perimeter to the middle of the cage.

"Stay away from me! Get out of my head!"

Her best friend pointed an accusatory finger at Grey. Something pale blue and shimmering with diamonds caught her eye. Grey frowned.

"I'm real," Grey said. "This is real."

Amelia shook her head, backing up against the plastic tree. Dark circles stained her eyes, her sallow skin sharpening her cheekbones. Bruises littered her neck and arms. Her hair still flowed beautifully over her shoulders. She looked like she had not eaten, but she smelled like ecstasy. A doll that had been tossed to the side.

She scraped against the dirt ground, then scratched at the tree. Grey did not realize she was looking for a weapon until she sank back to her place and checked her nails to examine their sharpness. Unsatisfied, she curled her knees beneath her chest and hissed.

"Amelia." Grey warily took a step closer. "I promise, it's me."

Amelia spat at Grey's feet. "Liar."

"No. Friend." She lowered herself slowly before the other girl. "I will protect you."

"Just kill me already," Amelia said. "I'm sick of this!"

Grey reached into her shirt, slipping her fingers past the seam of her bra. When she found the hard thing she was searching for, she pulled it out. It was barely visible in the darkness, so she took Amelia's hand and forced it onto the hilt. Amelia gasped, fighting to snatch her hand away. Before she could, Grey tossed Namjoon's hunting knife aside while she still touched it.

"See," Grey said, clasping Amelia's hand with her own, "It's gone. I would never hurt you."

Amelia's voice broke. "Grey?"

"Yes! It's Grey!" Amelia's arms wrapped around her throat in a panicked hug. Grey grabbed her just as tight, afraid to let her go. To compromise, she spoke into her hair. "I'm sorry, Amelia. I'm so sorry."

"Where am I? What is this?"

"I don't know," Grey admitted. When they pulled apart, they gripped one another's shoulders to stay grounded. "I'm sorry. I never wanted this to happen."