32: Stand for Something

Luca had seen Grey at troublesome times, but she had never felt her silence

The quiet of dawn echoed louder than the girl's dragging steps through the corridor towards the training room. Not a yawn or stretch escaped her lean figure, and she had yet to ask a question or even say good morning. Atypical of the young lady that had Luca's world spinning on her finger. In response, Luca trotted closer to Grey's legs. Perhaps the human needed a friend at the moment more than a guardian. She had just lost one yesterday after all.

Still, Grey was not herself. From the lack of smiles, the lack of sparkle in her eye, the lack of sound. Luca strolled next to a ghost of an individual rather than a beacon of hope. Amelia had an effect on her, but there was more than that. The cat recalled yesterday's visit and realized what it was.

Humans considered emotions part of their identity, and with that they cast moral judgments and chose what hurt them and what didn't. Even with these boundaries, mortals could never protect themselves from topics such as death. They could never come to terms with the fact that life had to end at one point, and when they convinced themselves they might be able to fathom the concept, they are tested, and hurt again. Because death spares no mortal and it, like the sky and the hidden world beyond those clouds was infinite.

However, what Grey failed to recognize was that her parents' end was not her fault. Moreover, there was nothing in Luca's power to help the human understand that. The issue was one that had to be left alone until Grey decided to touch it. So, instead of brushing against the subject, she warily began with something else.

"Do not hurt yourself trying to be part of this assignment. Train hard, and do your best."

Almost imperceptibly, Grey nodded. It was curt and tense, like even though she listened she preferred to be in her own head. The pair strolled past the mens' suites, Luca leading her to a quick left where the corridor reeked of leather and sweat. The training room doors were open, distant conversation leaking through the walls.

Luca said, "They are waiting for you in there. Again, you do not have to do this. You heard that they are willing to do this battle for you."

Saying nothing, Grey knelt down and strummed a finger behind each of Luca's ears. The cat wholly understood the gesture, maybe from being around her for so long and coming to know Grey's spoken and unspoken language.

That pat said, I hear you. The kiss Grey placed on Luca's forehead said, Thank you.

And when she walked towards that training room, she moved with fluid grace that said, I have to try.

:::

Floor to ceiling glass windows made up three of the four walls, showcasing downtown Seoul while it tried to keep it's eyes open after such a late night; dimly flickering away for a while before having to light itself again. A midnight blue sky fell over the tall buildings, blocked out by fluorescent lights stretching through the ceiling and across the only wall that wasn't opaque. Long wooden sticks and swords hung from hooks in the wall beside double-edged staffs and smaller weapons. In the center of the vast floor was a pit. Namjoon sat along the edge, Yoongi perked upon Grey's entrance.