40: I Have Nothing Left

Staring into the eyes of prey was a sensation unlike any other

Staring into the eyes of prey was a sensation unlike any other. In that split second, eyes were not just tools to see but windows into the soul where two individuals reached a clear understanding; only one of them would survive. And by then, the winner had been chosen. The back of Grey's eyelids were bathed in gold from the second she collapsed to the time she woke. If her room's walls were not silver, that gorgeous shade of sunlit honey would have followed her waking moments as well.

She sat up. Her entire body buzzed with subtle energy. Not a headache or stomachache to contend with. The last of her adrenaline warded it away. Sunlight bathed her room from the penthouse windows and Seoul carried about her business on the other side of the glass.

She observed her hands before her face, flexing her fingers. A white strip of skin marred her finger where the ring had been. Other than that, she was alive.

"You did it," Yoongi said. He had been standing in her doorway with a small smile.

"I did," she said. She threw the covers back and ran to him. He held her in a hug, lifting her off the ground a bit. When he put her down, he immediately reached for her hand.

"I'm sorry you had to go through all of that," he told her, stroking the back of her hand with his thumb.

She shook her head. "No one could have known it would happen this way."

"How do you feel?"

Grey shrugged, her grin fading away. "I killed her."

"I know," Yoongi sighed.

"Yoongi," she said, covering her mouth. Warm tears cascaded down her cheeks. "I killed her."

He gently frowned. "You were supposed to. That was supposed to happen."

"Why doesn't it feel right?" Grey asked.

Yoongi did not have an answer besides the fact that it was her first time.

"We'll never be fully prepared for the hard things," Yoongi said.

Grey smiled weakly, letting go of his hand. "Thank you for making me fearless."

He tucked a loose curl behind her ear. "You did that."

Last night's events and the events from the weeks leading up to it made Grey tilt her head at Yoongi. Here was this lovely angel that hid behind a cold exterior and plentiful sarcasm. The same guy poured his heart into a piano and a song and bared himself to the night sky when he thought the moon listened. He was so hard to reach, but once touched... once she touched who he really was, she understood him. The withered flowers around his heart blossomed with petals of fire and color.

The Wraith was a warrior by birth. Everything that made up Yoongi was a battlefield. From the way he thought about life to the way he handled her. Not only was he fierce, but also painstakingly loyal. He would go above and beyond for those he cared for. He would save her from the demons of the streets. He would teach her how to train, how to stand on her own two feet. He would give her the strength to challenge a Queen.